Compressor Advice

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Combehatter
80-90 Mem No: 12761

Compressor Advice

Post by Combehatter »

Hi,

I am after a compressor but I have no real idea what I need. I have tried googling and am getting confused with Displaced CFM v Actual CFM and other jargon. All I want is something that will:

Blow crap off parts
Inflate tyres
power a sander, die grinder, cut off saw, and possibly an impact wrench as well as spot/sand blaster (only a small one) for the seams!

Is this one ok or am I deeply under or over egging it?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... r-compress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

CH
1986 High Top, 1.9DG Petrol - Bubba

Jimscerb
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Compressor Advice

Post by Jimscerb »

Hi mate
To power your tools you need 3hp at least
That should keep you going and as big a tank
You can if it was me I would have at least 3hp
And 100-150 ltr tank

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Wait for Aldidl to have their periodic offers. 2.5hp, 25 litre tank, <£100 IIRC. Does me just fine for tyres (265/70 on the 4x4, much BIIIGer than the van), blowing, occasional rattlegun. I've got the little blasting gun they also sell periodically, but haven't used it yet.

If you go too high, you're going to need to go three phase or a blue 16A socket. 100l tank is overkill for light domestic use.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Displacement CFM is usually quoted because it's a bigger number and makes the compressor sound better than it is. The CFM is also related to the pressure it can generate. The best way to size a compressor is check the required air-flow for tools you've got. High demand tools like die-grinders will just run slow (or stop) once you've exhausted the air in the receiver, and then you'll have to wait for the compressor to kick in to top up the receiver. Most "cheap" recip compressors aren't man enough to run real tools.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Combehatter
80-90 Mem No: 12761

Post by Combehatter »

Thanks all.

That makes sense Boxy, cheers.

Machine mart are running a 15% off deal at the mo on Clarke stuff so I'll probably go for this one. It states 14.5 Cfm, I am guessing that's displacement but I think that will be enough for the tools I want as they are all around the 8-9 Cfm Mark.
1986 High Top, 1.9DG Petrol - Bubba

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

You need to know it's FAD value [free air delivery], i.e the amount of non-stop, non-fluctuating air leaving the compressor's outlet. The higher the FAD, the better performance is gained. :ok

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

If you do find the compressor is a bit under-powered ditch any quick release couplings and connect your tools with hose tails instead. That will maximise the flow rates and minimise the pressure drops between the receiver & the tools.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

ferraldog
80-90 Mem No: 13069

Post by ferraldog »

Id just like to chip in and say, I've got a 2.5hp 25 litre one, and though it's not perfect, it does me fine for what you've listed, and spraying.