new PAS - new steering wheel?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JNW
80-90 Mem No: 8918

new PAS - new steering wheel?

Post by JNW »

I've had the Corsa PAS installed by Tim at Ultimate Engineering in Bristol. It's amazing. Transforms the whole feel of the van.
The standard big steering wheel now seems a bit big, but the smaller Caravelle padded wheel goes for over 100 quid.
So I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I can see that some contemporary Golf wheels will fit, but I quite fancy the four spoke Touran. Has anyone tried anything similar?
Merry Christmas.

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Re: new PAS - new steering wheel?

Post by Fin »

I've fitted a MK2 GTI wheel to mine in the past - not tried anything modern
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

JNW

Post by JNW »

Did the horn and the indicator reset work?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

We have a Golf 4 spoke on one of ours (actually off a Scirocco / Passat but the same thing). There is a post somewhere on here (or in the wiki) about how to fit them, using some of the small brass pillars that can be seen around the sockets on the back of any computer (not most laptops tho, unless older types) to space the plate on the column out to make the indicator cancel work. However on ours I removed to peg on the back of the wheel and fitted a long(ish) thin self tapper to effectively make the pin longer so it contacts the cancel mechanism = very easy. The horn works with no mods. I did have to shave a couple of mm off the cowl to prevent it scraping on the back of the wheel. The only downside is that the smaller wheel partially obscures the top part of the speedo and the warning LED's. Oh and without PAS the steering gets a bit heavier of course, but it's been no problem for me in the last 10 years.

Important note = There are two types of "boss" size on Golf / Scirocco / Passat steering wheels and tbh I cannot remember whether it is the late or early that fit onto a T25. I have a feeling it is the earlier one (pre 86) but don't quote me and if anyone knows (or finds out by getting one) let "us" know so we can add it to the knowledge base ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

JNW

Post by JNW »

Found this. An ebayer selling a boss says it fits all these VWs, so presumably the OEM steering wheels are interchangeable? Don't know about horn or indicator cancel functions though.

* VW Beetle 98 -
* VW Bora
* VW Corrado
* VW Caddy
* VW GOLF MK1
* VW GOLF MK2
* VW GOLF MK3
* VW GOLF MK4
* VW GOLF MK5
* VW Jetta
* VW Lupo
* VW POLO 84 - 89
* VW POLO 90+
* VW PASSAT 84 - 88
* VW PASSAT 90+
* VW PASSAT 98 +
* VW Quantum
* VW Rabbit
* VW Scirocco
* VW Santana
* VW Transporter T25 T3 Caravelle Vanagon <1992
* VW LT
* VW Vento

PORSCHE

* Porsche 924, 944 <1984

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

JNW wrote:An ebayer selling a boss says it fits all these VWs, so presumably the OEM steering wheels are interchangeable? .

Don't believe everything you read from an Ebay seller :wink: = He is wrong :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Post by bobby-gg »

I too have the Golf GTi wheel fitted with the four small round horn pushes fitted, this is on my Caravelle with factory P/S and find it a perfect size, followed the wiki about lifting the switchgear up with motherboard spacers and it all works great

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

:ok fine 3mm both internal and external (so I'm told) in practice the posts might be 1 - 2mm long so may need shortening to give the horn contact ring sufficient clearance.

Early 4 button steering wheel.

Nice to see this is of some use...

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

GFunked
80-90 Mem No: 13158

Post by GFunked »

I am just fitting the 4 button Mk1 Golf steering wheel to mine. At the moment without the additional mounting post adjustments it fits but the steering column rocks a little back and for - is this the issue that the mounting post adjusters solves or is there a secondary issue?
1991 T25 1.9DG

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Noop...secondary issue is 'usually' the self cancel paw on the steering wheel for the indicators doesn't reach...and the horn ring contacts are just too far away from the horn ring.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

GFunked
80-90 Mem No: 13158

Post by GFunked »

Cheers and appreciate the response. Many thanks Martin
1991 T25 1.9DG