t25 lez laws?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dickey reyatt
80-90 Mem No: 0

t25 lez laws?

Post by Dickey reyatt »

Hi Guys, i am new on this forum so please bare with me. :o
A very close friend of mine has a t25 transporter van with a 1.6 turbo diesel engine on a F951pjm reg. Both him and i spent close to 3000 pounds end of last year 2011 restoring it after 25 years of him using it. He used it as a transportation van for his work back then(trucking) for spares and tyres for the trucks. He bought it brand new from showroom here in the UK not knowing 25years ago that he would be faced with the Lez law. I understand that his van is coming up to classic status very soon but now he cannot use it as he will face charges all around the area(watford) where he lives and cannot use the van for his normal day to day running.He is a pensioner now and is faced with another 2000pounds cost to comply with the euro3 law and as i have found out, euro 5 is just round the bend and thats another cost. Can anyone please shed some light on this topic and advice? has there been any such discussions or issues with other t25 owners? We are both really quite upset about all this. It has passed every MOT test that it has been for without any hitches and it so did last year after i worked on it. :(

kindest regards
dickey reyatt

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Re: t25 lez laws?

Post by kit »

From the little understanding I have is you are stuffed, I know a lot of people outside London are buying vans at knock down prices because of the LEZ, I think if it registered as a motor home you are OK but not you friends unfortunately.
1y Tin top rust collector.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Fit it out with a bed seat & with a sink unit&cooker .And as much like a camper van as possible take a few picts then submit for evidence to the dvla for registration as a motor home.Rules have been tighten up but give it a try.If you can get it registered as a motor home you can then submit this with the gross vehicle weight as a motor home under 3.500 kg to the lez it then becomes exempt from charges.Done this my self .

Dickey reyatt

Post by Dickey reyatt »

@ camper, Thanks alot for that. I will speak to my mate about it and see what he comes up with . but all in all, this is not right, Mr xx and his croonies should have some kind of leeway for people who have collector cars and classics. this law not only hurts the pocket but the value of the vehicle and lots of people i'm sure have lost out on their pride and joy unless of course they have the money to spend and not worry about ruining the originality of the vehicle(t25). anyway, once again thank you so much. i will post back soon with an answer from my mate.

regards
dickey

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

this subject needs an accurately worded wiki entry
:)

Dickey reyatt

Post by Dickey reyatt »

@matt, sure please go ahead. i take it you have or had a similar problem?
regards
dickey

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

Would a AGG/2e inline petrol conversion be a cheaper way of doing it considering you could recuperate a lot the cost on the sale of your jx engine?
I was speaking to someone who had been trying to re-register their T4 van as a camper and he was saying dvla have really tightened up on the definition of a camper and want it followed to the letter, potentially I would of thought as expensive as an engine swap.
Quit ad modum panis tosti

Dickey reyatt

Post by Dickey reyatt »

@trucker, Hmm, sounds good. what sort of cost are we looking at, for the engine that is and any suggestions as to where to get one? who would buy the existing engine? 1.6td?
kind regards
dickey

aruntaylor

Post by aruntaylor »

Change it to petrol. No LEz worries. Only MPG!

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

aruntaylor wrote:Change it to petrol. No LEz worries. Only MPG!

I bought a petrol westfalia because of the lez, makes me question my decision every time I fill up though.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

printmonkey wrote:

I bought a petrol westfalia because of the lez, makes me question my decision every time I fill up though.

That is a shame as a Diesel Westfalia is still exempt from the LEZ as its under 2500kg and registered as a Motor Caravan on the log book :ok

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

jed the spread wrote:
printmonkey wrote:

That is a shame as a Diesel Westfalia is still exempt from the LEZ as its under 2500kg and registered as a Motor caravan on the log book :ok

jed

I know, it's a bit of a PITA really, when I was looking to buy my van I couldn't get a straight answer from the DVLA on a diesel westfalia at the time. So I did the unforgivable thing of buying with my heart rather than my head, bought a petrol van because it 'felt right' and the other investor 'liked the colour!' :D

Would the OP's van be exempt with a newer TDI diesel conversion as I believe you have done? I guess it still doesn't help if the registration with the DVLA is still as a commercial vehicle.

Shame, it sounds like a good honest van.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

It has to have a euro 4 engine or something and with a Tdi (afn, ahu, 1z etc) it wouldn't unless a cat was fitted for around the £1800 mark.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

camper wrote:If you can get it registered as a motor home you can then submit this with the gross vehicle weight as a motor home under 3.500 kg to the lez it then becomes exempt from charges.Done this my self .

lez motorhome max gross weight is 2500kg, mine is 2600kg and so not compliant

tdi transplant into a T3 would have to have all the emission equipment from a compliant donor vehicle and be certified as such, trouble is a lot of it is not normally used when a transplant is carried out
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

Dickey reyatt wrote:@matt, sure please go ahead. i take it you have or had a similar problem?
regards
dickey
I'm lucky enough to live in the foothill's of gods country Derbyshire, so aint got a clue!
However, it does crop up on here alot
:)