Watching TV via a Laptop?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Watching TV via a Laptop?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

My wife likes her morning tv news.

She has a laptop which we thought we could always use to watch the odd dvd on a cold evening, but I'm sure I read somewhere that its possible to buy a usb thingy that can pick up tv signals? If that's the case, what about an aerial? Or, do i lob out for a pukka 12v tv & ariel instead?

Thoughts welcome please :wink:

Doug.

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: Watching TV via a Laptop?

Post by nevill3 »

I bought a USB TV Dongle from Ebay a couple of years ago and use it with the mini magnetic aerial that came with it, as long as I stick the aerial on the roof of the cab I get perfect reception and I do not have to align it up because it is omnidirectional (I think), but I guess it depends where the local transmitter is in relation to your chosen camping spot. If you make sure you get one with the UK connector you could buy an extra Aerial that is more directional to use in poor reception areas.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

No direct personal experience of using one, but you want something like this...
http://www.expansys.com/hauppauge-294-w ... -0-184900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comes with an aerial (of what quality, I have no idea), but that's a bog-standard co-ax connector in the end.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

OK, we have 2 different kinds of those DVB-T things.

My laptop is a pretty good spec and running well (I am a computer engineer).

I have given up with them and bought a very nice Bush 19" TV with HD, a DVD player and freeveiw all built in for £99. ( like this = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Volt-Bush- ... 19cb7d6c8e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Note = you need to buy a separate power lead for that one, or do as I did and chop the low voltage lead off from the power supply and splice onto a 12 V feed (+ve is the centre core of the cable).

Reasons =
Those USB things are a faff (imho) it takes an age to do the "search for channels" and you have to do it every time you go to a different location. (I know you do this with the TV too, but it only takes a couple on minutes).

The little aerial that comes with them is only of use if you can pretty much SEE the transmitter with your eyes !

Then the picture quality is poor when it does work, and the lip sync often drifts away !!

I use (with the USB thing and the new TV) a non powered indoor TV aerial with 4 magnets glued to the bottom to make it stick on the roof. (Non powered because it does not matter if it gets wet). On the Hi-Top I find the aerial works fine inside the roof because it ain't metal :)

With all the advantages I get with the great TV @ £99 I wouldn't go back to the USB TV dongle thing !
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

New Kentish Campers

OK, thanks everyone. I think I'll go down the 12v TV route; we can use our mobiles for emails, etc anyway.

Any idea what the power draw is on that TV mentioned? I only ask because I've got a 'Swisstec' [make by Sky, so I understand] 19" HD tv + integrated dvd that uses a 240/12v transformer, and I'm wondering if I should now think of using that. But on the transformer's little box thing, it says 12v, 5 amp which presumably is its maximum power drawer when using a dvd. Would that drain my leisure battery very quickly for a few hours use every day, do you think?

Doug. :ok

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi Doug - 5 Amps will be a worst case scenario and even then likely pessimistic, mine says 3 Amp (iirc) but using it as a TV it uses about 1.6 Amps (not tested it playing a DVD yet) so no big problem. No harm in trying it out (and measuring consumption with a meter) just make sure you cut the power cable in a way you can re-connect it ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

I've just bought a USB widget that will receive Freeview HD (my laptop is full HD). It'll get a reasonable road test this weekend (Champions League final!)... I'll report back. :)

New Kentish Campers

Thanks to you both :ok

helga592
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by helga592 »

If you have a dongel to conect to the interweb theres a web sit (http://www.tvcatchup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . Im not saying its the best way to watch tv or the chepest but it works for us hope this info is uesfull
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Holy thread resurrection batman :shock:

More in this subject, all be it Linux related, not Windows http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=137518

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Many modern tablets seem to have this capability built in these days and draw little off your battery compared to laptops, plus they can be loaded with films etc before you set off. I must admit, I don't use my laptop or notebook since I bought a hudl and I'm on an all-you-can-eat data contract so I can stream stuff ok providing signal is ok. I don't watch TV even at home (at all) but if I was stuck for a signal I'd have no shortage of stuff to watch.

Youtube transformed my viewing habits and opinion of media. I stopped buying a TV licence almost 7 years ago but TV licensing never give up. I shut the door on them now. Not my fault their records are not up to date and as I've committed no crime I don't even give them the time of day - why should I. They never ever stop pestering, even if you write to them. I am, by default, seen as 'an evader'.

This guy also doesn't have a TV either and is in same boat as me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJN-aGODo5I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

I bought a samsung smart tv this year with all the iplayer apps on it youtube fb etc etc.as long as i dont whatch live tv a licence is not required. so now i enjoy the best of whats out there when i want to whatch something. i told tv licence this & they sent me a letter about my status that i was licence free for 2 years or until my viewing circumstances change. :ok
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Aye, and then you default to 'evader' again.... :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

CovKid wrote:Aye, and then you default to 'evader' again.... :rofl

lol cov. i just think,only me that the BBC have lost there way a bit. news biased/ kiddie fiddlers from the music side/repeats etc & talks about bbc3 going online etc. I had to think why pay them£150 a year & watch when they put a program on. or watch the same thing when i want for sweet fanny adams.

sry to the op,didnt mean to change topic.

roy
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Now and again I look at iplayer, simply to see what I'm not missing. I've got into the swing of watching retro stuff on DVD now plus the bizarre and rare from youtube. Much prefer it and costs little. In any event I'd worry if I was so hooked into a series that I had to take a TV with me. Quite tricky to watch TV without consuming too much from the leisure. I switched to a non-dvd mp3 stereo (no moving parts and less current drain) and maxing out the memory in the Hudl so I can stuff it with films. If I really wanted to, I can hook the two togther but both me and the lad have one each, plus earphones. My parents do the same. Last time they went off with the whole of 'Dave Allen at Large' on a USB stick. Said it made for some hilarious evenings. I'm much more of the low-consumption mindset so I can exist off the grid for longer periods than most without actually being bored. Hudle consumes about 6.8 mah so its nothing really. Way to go I'd say. CatchupTV a possible on it if you have a good data connection. If not, no big deal.

After 10 days you're kind of down to monopoly and cards but thats ok too. :D