Ride quality

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Ride quality

Post by The Bishop »

When I bought my van it had 70mm lowered springs and 205/50/17 tyres/wheels fitted.

The ride quality is pretty poor, very choppy and bouncy. You hit road impefections that I previously had not noticed and it feels like it will shake the van to bits. What is the ride generally like in a T25? Clearly it's a 25 year old commercial vehicle so I assume it is unfair comparing it with a modern luxury car.

Are there any experts out there. What is likely to be the cause of my problem? Is it the lowered springs? Have the shock absorbers gone? Is it the fault of the low profile tyres?

I'm not sure where to go to locally for advise as I expect my usual garage is not familiar with T25's and wouldn't be a suspension expert - probably happy to replace bits and pieces but without any in depth knowledge.
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Re: Ride quality

Post by Mickyfin »

My suspension is stock, and quite high being a Syncro, and I have to say the ride quality is amazing to be honest, firm, and steady.

Maybe your shocks are gone, or the spring combo is not working as it should, therefore possibly being a bad combination, or simply worn out components. Best to return to stock in my opinion.

I have notice the ride on mine has changed slightly since fitting my winter tyres, although mostly in the cabin noise level increasing.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Mine drives much more comfortably than my daughter's seat ibiza or my ex's fiat punto. Low profile tyres would seem to be the problem. They ususally give a hard ride. Also are you running on correct tyre pressures? Overinflated = harder ride.
:)
Patrick

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Rip the 70mm springs out and go to 40 or 50mm. With 70mm springs you couldn't adjust the camber enough......before brickwerks developed the camber shims

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... wering.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

70mm kits, to me are too low, you run out of camber adjustment at the front end on late vans, early ones you can get away with it, just. When lowering a van you have to reset the camber and tracking as when the suspension get lower the front camber gets more negative and the tracking changes. Up to 60mm you can just about manage to reset the camber to such a point to where it will go back to factory setting but the adjusters are pretty much on the limits, any lower and the adjusters will be at full adjustment, you end up with negative camber, your steering will be heavy with less self centering and you will scrub your tyres off on the inside.

Nij
80-90 Mem No: 10199

Post by Nij »

Mine is very comfy on stock springs and also means i can get to see places most normal cars cannot - but still not a syncro :(

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

The Bishop wrote: What is likely to be the cause of my problem? Is it the lowered springs?

yes.
if you must lower it, then 50 mm is really the limit for a ride of reasonable quality.

Mine is on standard springs, 26 year old shocks and it's like a limousine wafting along without a bump or rattle. I wouldn't have it any other way.
if you come down lower than standard then the trade off is ride quality..

there's no getting out of that.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

kap
80-90 Mem No: 9086

Post by kap »

Are the bump stops cut down?
Sounds like a golf

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

Hi Kap I think you might have a good point here as it seems to bottom out with a bump regularly.

How do I check and how do I cut them down?

Thanks for your help
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Going that low the suspension constantly bottoms out on standard length bump stops, they do need cutting. Problem is, cut the bump stops and you are very close to the shocker bottoming out internally (damper rod at full stroke) when it hits the end of it's stroke it goes bang! :shock: not good for you, your suspension and the shock absorber.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

buy good qaulity -50mm springs and qaulity shocks.

taigagreen
80-90 Mem No: 9831

Post by taigagreen »

The Bishop wrote: Clearly it's a 25 year old commercial vehicle so I assume it is unfair comparing it with a modern luxury car.

You know what? A T3 (or T25) with fresh bushings and good shocks riding on original wheels is AMAZINGLY comfortable to swoosh around in. I've been up to 17" wheels myself (225/50-17 on 30mm springs) and that was a great ride. Dont underestimate the ride and handling you can get from these aging boxes.
Now
88 Westfalia syncro AAZ i/c
91 Caravelle syncro DJ
89 doka syncro DJ
89 Westfalia California JX
84 Reimo Camper 1.9 WBX
90 Caravelle Coach JX
98 Sharan 110hp TDi