sqeaking wheel

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

sqeaking wheel

Post by jas915 »

my van seems to have developed a squeak which, it doesn't seem to be all the time, mostly when going round corners.
I had a quick check and there didn't seem any play when i jacked it up and gave the wheel a shake.I'm thinking it could be the bearing? any ideas, do worn out bearings squeak?, i thought they just rumbled?.

thanks in advance
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: sqeaking wheel

Post by California Dreamin »

You are correct, bearings whur....the pitch of the 'whur' gets higher the faster you drive. Squeaks are normally brake related (pad to disc) brought on by slight flexing under lateral (side to side) movement.
Anti squeel shims/grease might help but many of these problems arise from poor quality brake pads/discs.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Post by Donnw »

My wheel bearing recently failed, and it developed a high pitched squeak which went away when I touched the brake pedal. I also had some rumbling as well. Hopefully your's is just brake pads. If you are not sure get it checked. When my bearing gave up suddenly, it pulled sharply to one side at 50 mph. I then waited 4 hours for recovery, luckily I had lots of food and drink in the fridge.

Kev

California Dreamin

I don't get why bearings fail suddently....in my experience there is always plenty of warning before actual failure. Unless the bearings were incorrectly fitted or were of the recycled baked bean can variety?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Donnw

Post by Donnw »

California Dreamin wrote:I don't get why bearings fail suddently....in my experience there is always plenty of warning before actual failure. Unless the bearings were incorrectly fitted or were of the recycled baked bean can variety?

Martin

Well, mine did rumble a bit, then squeaked, then failed. So, yes it did give some warning and was only replaced less than a year before at the last mot. It only managed about 1800 miles. The bearing was obtained from GSF

California Dreamin

Donnw wrote:
California Dreamin wrote:I don't get why bearings fail suddently....in my experience there is always plenty of warning before actual failure. Unless the bearings were incorrectly fitted or were of the recycled baked bean can variety?

Martin

Well, mine did rumble a bit, then squeaked, then failed. So, yes it did give some warning and was only replaced less than a year before at the last mot. It only managed about 1800 miles. The bearing was obtained from GSF

Arh!......not even made from recycled baked bean cans these are the famous ones made from Indian take out trays, the aluminium ones.... :shock: They usually explode chopping the driver and his/her passengers into little bits in the process.....honest, it's a fact!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Donnw

Post by Donnw »

California Dreamin wrote:
Donnw wrote:

Martin

Arh!......not even made from recycled baked bean cans these are the famous ones made from Indian take out trays, the aluminium ones.... :shock: They usually explode chopping the driver and his/her passengers into little bits in the process.....honest, it's a fact!

Martin

I'm lucky to be here then :shock: Next time I'll make sure I get better quality parts fitted.

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

umm well maybe its brake related i will have to have closer inspection, it does seem intermintant
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Yes I agree the pads are resonating on the calliper... like a bow across strings.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)