threadlocker on conversion studs

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

threadlocker on conversion studs

Post by janieh »

Hi All

I've got some new alloys for my van, and I've got the conversion studs from Brickwerks to make it easier. This may be a silly question but I'm just being a bit paranoid about how they work. (we've nearly had a wheel fall off before and I don't want it happening again!) As they're not like a nut, once they're in you can't tighten them up can you, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Brickwerks recomend using a threadlocker and I've got the one from Halfords which is Loctite 248 in a stick. It says it's medium strength. I'm just wondering if it would be better to be on the safe side and get a stronger threadlocker? or is this just me being stupid and there's no chance it'll come out anyway!?

Any comments welcome
Jane
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: threadlocker on conversion studs

Post by Allanw »

The medium should be fine. You want to wind them in without thread lock first (make sure they go in easy) and check that you know how far to go (basically until the non-threaded centre of the stud touches the face usually). Also make sure they are the right way around, and test fit one wheel to make sure they are long enough!

Clean it all to get rid of any grease on the threads (brake cleaner is your friend).

Once you have determioned all is good, apply the threadlock and wind the stud in quickly to it's final resting place. Leave it there to "set".

Apply anti-seize to the exposed threads, and only use nuts which go on smoothly (a sticky nut can wind a stud out). ALWAYS torque wheel nuts to the correct settings.

The secret to conversion studs, is to always check if they have moved out when removing a nut!

I have medium thread lock on mine and have NO problems :-)

Good luck
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

Re: threadlocker on conversion studs

Post by janieh »

Allanw wrote:The medium should be fine. You want to wind them in without thread lock first (make sure they go in easy) and check that you know how far to go (basically until the non-threaded centre of the stud touches the face usually). Also make sure they are the right way around, and test fit one wheel to make sure they are long enough!

Clean it all to get rid of any grease on the threads (brake cleaner is your friend).

Once you have determioned all is good, apply the threadlock and wind the stud in quickly to it's final resting place. Leave it there to "set".

Apply anti-seize to the exposed threads, and only use nuts which go on smoothly (a sticky nut can wind a stud out). ALWAYS torque wheel nuts to the correct settings.

The secret to conversion studs, is to always check if they have moved out when removing a nut!

I have medium thread lock on mine and have NO problems :-)

Good luck

Thanks, that's very helpful. I've not done them yet as one of the studs we had was the wrong length, but should be able to get it all done this coming weekend. Looking forward to seeing our shiny new wheels on the van ready for the summer!
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD