FLUFFIN BRAKE DRUM STUCK

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevehanx71
80-90 Mem No: 7010

FLUFFIN BRAKE DRUM STUCK

Post by stevehanx71 »

GRRRRR :x :x :x Can some one help i am trying to remove my rear drums to check me brakes and also have some probable debris !!
removed the 2 small bolts (which were not present)!! Tried tapping itfree wont budge!! tried a bit of heat and tapping still no joy!! with the handbrake off the wheels spin freely so i dont think the brakes are holding the drum??

Can anybody help PLEASE!! :roll:

Dont mind the witty remarks but if someone can be helpfull it would be appreciated!! :ok

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: FLUFFIN BRAKE DRUM STUCK

Post by R0B »

I used a FBH on mine.It took a good few clouts.but they do come off eventually.Try to clout them towards you.If you know what i mean.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

stevehanx71 wrote:with the handbrake off the wheels spin freely so i dont think the brakes are holding the drum??

There may be some wear lips on the drum catching on the shoes. If there are, once they're off, take 'em to a friendly little engineering shop, and get 'em to quickly put 'em in a lathe, in return for a folding drinking token...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if the drums is lipped such that it won't come off once the shoes are backed off then it's past the wear limit and will need replacing - if you back off the shoes using the adjuster and the drum won't come off then you'll have to remove the hub with the drum on, wheel back on, undo the 46mmm nut then remove the drum and hub together then persuade the rust holding the two together to 'give it up' with a suitable persuading device

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Hit them harder you big girl :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Slacken off the adjuster through the top hole in the backplate. Use some PlusGas around the flange and studs, give it 10 minutes then clout the face of the drum (between the studs) square on with a big hammer (2lb or bigger) turn, repeat, turn, repeat...the drum will bounce off.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

stevehanx71
80-90 Mem No: 7010

Post by stevehanx71 »

:ok :ok
Thanks all i done it!!!
Just needed a FBH was just afraid to give it some welly but realised our vans are made of sturdy stuff!!

Again thanks for the valuable tips

steve