will mercedes ml 4x4 alloys fit?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

campercrazy1
80-90 Mem No: 8217

will mercedes ml 4x4 alloys fit?

Post by campercrazy1 »

hey, wil the merc ml allos fit my t25, will the 225/75/16 tyres fit/look stupid, im just about to finish a petrol-1y conversion if thats relevant with gearing etc, thanks

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Re: will mercedes ml 4x4 alloys fit?

Post by Fin »

Check the BCD, to fit your bus it needs to be 5 x 112mm, I'm pretty sure most mercs run this size, I'm running CLK wheels on mine

I'm not very good with the offset thing though - which I'm told is pretty vital
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Yes they do..
I fitted 1999 ML's to my van, center bore is good and all you'll need are 10mm spacers with longer studs.

boot them with 215/60 X 16. 99. reinforced tyres (Vanco or pirelli as a suggestion)
the center caps are made from golf Mk1 centers and benz caps (all in the wiki)
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

campercrazy1
80-90 Mem No: 8217

Post by campercrazy1 »

cheers these look smart

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

kevtherev wrote:Yes they do..
I fitted 1999 ML's to my van, center bore is good and all you'll need are 10mm spacers with longer studs.

boot them with 215/60 X 16. 99. reinforced tyres (Vanco or pirelli as a suggestion)

Kev what wheel nuts/bolts did you use?

I have done some research but am still a little unsure, am I correct in thinking that I will need longer rear studs pressed into the hubs? If so what length did you use and what nuts? I have read something about the nuts / bolts needing to be a certain shape, ie triangle taper rathervthan round taper? is this the same on the front bolts?? any help/advise very welcome.What suspension are you using? how low? basically I just want to copy your set up lol.

Also where did you get yours powder coated? How much was it? I have just been quoted £480 for the four :shock: :rofl

Martin.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

pionte wrote:
kevtherev wrote:Yes they do..

Kev what wheel nuts/bolts did you use?

I have done some research but am still a little unsure, am I correct in thinking that I will need longer rear studs pressed into the hubs? If so what length did you use and what nuts? I have read something about the nuts / bolts needing to be a certain shape, ie triangle taper rathervthan round taper? is this the same on the front bolts?? any help/advise very welcome.What suspension are you using? how low? basically I just want to copy your set up lol.

Also where did you get yours powder coated? How much was it? I have just been quoted £480 for the four :shock: :rofl

Martin.
Hi Martin
you will indeed need longer rear and front studs replacing the bolt types. (cut to legnth yourself)
The nuts will need to be radiused for the Merc rims.
(All available from Brickwerks)
I have standard suspension with twenty four year old shocks.

This may suprise you but the wheels are painted.
Most sand blasters will charge a tenner a wheel for the removal of the old coating.
A local sprayers will put a good coat of hard two pack paint on for a tenner a wheel too...
which is what I did. :D
Added bonus is scratches and marks T cut out.

PS My local coater would coat the wheels for £25 when the colour came up in the booth, but I couldn't wait.

pionte

Post by pionte »

Thanks for the info Kev,

I bought some ML 16x 6.5j the other night as I think that they look really good on yours, and more importantly are designed to take the weight.

The tyre choice I still havnt decided on.... The 215 16 60 99 that you have should be fine with a load rating of 775kg per corner, but am still thinking maybe getting commercial rated tyres, these are good value http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 3193p21524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are good upto 875 kg per corner.

Am I getting too paranoid about the weight ??

The other thing I am unsure of is how low I can drop without any rubbing, I may try 20 mm rear spacers to give the van a better looking stance, but untill I have the tyres on the rims and offered up I am unsure what clearance I will have, and then I will decide either to drop 30mm or 50mm.

i have found a local place that will sand blast and wet paint for me, just waiting for the guy to get back to me with the price, Thanks for the tip :ok I am going to go shiny black I think.

Thanks again for your help, always appreciated .

Martin.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

pionte wrote:Thanks for the info Kev,

I bought some ML 16x 6.5j the other night as I think that they look really good on yours, and more importantly are designed to take the weight.

The tyre choice I still havnt decided on.... The 215 16 60 99 that you have should be fine with a load rating of 775kg per corner, but am still thinking maybe getting commercial rated tyres, these are good value http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 3193p21524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are good upto 875 kg per corner.

Am I getting too paranoid about the weight ??

The other thing I am unsure of is how low I can drop without any rubbing, I may try 20 mm rear spacers to give the van a better looking stance, but until I have the tyres on the rims and offered up I am unsure what clearance I will have, and then I will decide either to drop 30mm or 50mm.

i have found a local place that will sand blast and wet paint for me, just waiting for the guy to get back to me with the price, Thanks for the tip :ok I am going to go shiny black I think.

Thanks again for your help, always appreciated .

Martin.

If the tyres are rated over 95 then that is adequate for the van weight
I would suggest no lower than 50mm it looks good and would not over strain the suspension, plus the ride would not be too badly compromised

20mm spacers would put the rims out side the accepted ET for the suspension

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

whats the accepted ET?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Good question...
T25's that came from the factory with steel wheels have a ET of 39 while T25's that left the factory with alloy wheels came with a ET of 30.
So if that's good enough for VW it's OK with me :ok

anywhere between the two gives a good chance of hitting it right with stock spacers

pionte

Post by pionte »

Kev just another couple of questions !

I am just about to order some spacers and longer wheel studs from Dr Baxter's emporium of fine Vedubauu spares but I am still a little unsure, are you saying that you changed your front bolts to studs and nuts? And the link on Wiki to make the vw centre caps appears to be broken :( http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Wh ... erc_alloys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I looking in the right place.

Cheers Martin.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

yes all the studs have to be longer and the bolts replaced with long studs and they are the tapered.
All the studs have to be cut to size once the nuts are fitted. The fronts just screw in, use a lock nut to fix em tight.
I used nice chrome nuts which have a known depth so it was a simple math exercise to cut the right length.

yeah that link... looks like it was moved here...

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... entre_caps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pionte

Post by pionte »

Thanks again Kev... will these do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK1-GTI-CABR ... 1425wt_911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

How come everything on ebay is rare? :lol:

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

pionte wrote:Thanks again Kev... will these do the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK1-GTI-CABR ... 1425wt_911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

great find... you'll need these aswell to fit in the ML alloy.. 4 X MERCEDES BENZ WHEEL CENTRES/CAPS 75mm, usualy chime in at £8 a set