Alloy wheel load rating

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Alloy wheel load rating

Post by g60steve »

So the wheels need to be load rated to 650kgs or above and the tyres 93 and above....higher the better. :ok
There's no 'r' in bought!

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

g60steve wrote:Even a fully loaded VW T25 Karmann Coachbuilt has a total axle weight LESS THAN 2500kgs

It SHOULD have a GVW of no more than 2500kgs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of people who go over that without realising.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

clift_d wrote:
g60steve wrote:Even a fully loaded VW T25 Karmann Coachbuilt has a total axle weight LESS THAN 2500kgs

It SHOULD have a GVW of no more than 2500kgs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of people who go over that without realising.

Maybe but it really takes some doing to go over 2500kgs in a Gipsy.....the unladen weight of a petrol Gipsy is 1970kgs so anyone who carries over 530kgs of weight(including passengers)really needs to rethink their camping needs....or go on a diet! :shock: :ok

Rookiedub
80-90 Mem No: 14101

Post by Rookiedub »

Hi, just seeing these replies, decent points for and against, i think im still slightly on the side of not using them, it would never sit right with me.
Another option might be just to drive it up to the weigh bridge when im done because theres not a lot in the van in fairness.
I wont ditch the wheels just yet but ill keep looking for a set anyway, thats half the fun! :P
Very useful info in here anyway, thanks again guys :D

g60steve
Trader

Post by g60steve »

Rookiedub wrote:Another option might be just to drive it up to the weigh bridge when im done because theres not a lot in the van in fairness.

It doesn't matter if the van is full or empty....the wheels and tyres need to be load rated for the vans maximum axle weights.

Saying that though....there's plenty of people on here who have wheels that aren't 650kg load rated but they have correctly load rated tyres and they have had no issues.

I'm not saying it's right to do so, as I've done it myself, but in the case of some of the older wheels, the load ratings just aren't available so it becomes a calculated risk.