Buying Tyres Online Is Not As Stupid As I Thought

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ben12
80-90 Mem No: 0

Buying Tyres Online Is Not As Stupid As I Thought

Post by Ben12 »

I enjoy saving a few pounds as much as the next person, but I did not think buying tyres online made sense. What was I going to do with four tyres delivered to my door? I did not have the equipment to put them on, balance the tyres, and then dispose of the old ones.

I was convinced by the time you bought tyres online, took them to a shop, and had them mounted, you would spend more pounds than if you just bought them at a local shop.

I was sitting in the office on lunch break, watching my cohort shopping for tyres, and told him my opinion. He asked how much I paid for my last set of tyres, what brand, what size, and then he turned his laptop around and showed me the price. I was mad. The price was 30% lower than what I paid, but then I blurted out my regular defense, “How much you gonna pay to have them mounted?”

I typed in my postcode and found out I could have the tires mounted about a kilometer from the office. Now I was really angry. I paid 30% more and drove more. My wife's car was due for a new set of tyres, so I punched in her car information and found the prices were about 20% lower than the best quote I had found so far. It was one of those “what the heck” moments.

I guess it is not so stupid to buy tyres online. Maybe it is people like me who resist change that are the stupid ones.
http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; claimed to have over 200 sites here in the UK for insalling the tyres

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Re: Buying Tyres Online Is Not As Stupid As I Thought

Post by keytouch »

I found asda tyres to be very cheap and their price includes fitting. Usually at halfords autocentres
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

I buy my tyres from a family run garage about 5 miles from where I live. Their price for tyres including fitting is less than the online companies such as Black Circles & My Tyres. Plus I am dealing with people I know & if anything goes wrong I know where to find them.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Just bought a couple from blackcircles they get sent to a local fitter and were fitted with no fuss, happy with the service none of the negotiations on brand and price you usually have, also these were very recent date codes, been sold old tyres before :ok

i have a feeling this will be the norm in future
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

I've used Blackcircles before and would recommend them.

My wife took her car in to our nominated garage close to her workplace & the receptionist said next time give them a call before ordering with Blackcircles as they would better the price, so worth asking :ok

Tyres were Michelin energy savers
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

keytouch wrote:I found asda tyres to be very cheap and their price includes fitting. Usually at halfords autocentres

I have been on the Asda Tyres website just out of curiosity about their prices. I entered my camper registration & it displayed ''VW Transporter'' on the screen but the tyres it came up with were NOT 'C' rated commercial tyres. The Asda Tyres website appears to be for cars only.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I should add the blackcircle tyres i got were car tyres not van tyres, i haven't checked the van tyres yet, i phoned first and asked if tgey could better the price and they could not, blackcircles send the tyres to them so probably get good prices due to volume
Last edited by itchyfeet on 18 Mar 2014, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

GoldSyncro
80-90 Mem No: 15422

Post by GoldSyncro »

I live in Northern Spain. Tyres here are very expensive. Long story but I return to the UK once a year to have the van MOT'd, visit family, etc. Never really considered buying tyres on-line but this year both my daily and my wife's car needed a new set so I decided to give it a go. Can't be happier, ordered online, delivered and waiting for me at my mums house and saved enough to almost cover the cost of my return ferry trip! On closer inspection of the receipt I then realised the tyres had also been delivered free from Germany!!

trikepete
80-90 Mem No: 5874

Post by trikepete »

I buy all my tyres online as I got a sealey tyre changer a couple of years ago bolted to my garage floor cost £ 55 and has saved me 5 times that
as I run 4 cars plus the van and I charge my mates £5 per wheel
god did not let us invent metal to only make paper clips v6 camper not in his plan that was my idea.

eric
80-90 Mem No: 2216

Post by eric »

Ben12 wrote:I enjoy saving a few pounds as much as the next person, but I did not think buying tyres online made sense. What was I going to do with four tyres delivered to my door? I did not have the equipment to put them on, balance the tyres, and then dispose of the old ones.

I was convinced by the time you bought tyres online, took them to a shop, and had them mounted, you would spend more pounds than if you just bought them at a local shop.

I was sitting in the office on lunch break, watching my cohort shopping for tyres, and told him my opinion. He asked how much I paid for my last set of tyres, what brand, what size, and then he turned his laptop around and showed me the price. I was mad. The price was 30% lower than what I paid, but then I blurted out my regular defense, “How much you gonna pay to have them mounted?”

I typed in my postcode and found out I could have the tires mounted about a kilometer from the office. Now I was really angry. I paid 30% more and drove more. My wife's car was due for a new set of tyres, so I punched in her car information and found the prices were about 20% lower than the best quote I had found so far. It was one of those “what the heck” moments.

I guess it is not so stupid to buy tyres online. Maybe it is people like me who resist change that are the stupid ones.

So, how much did it cost to have the tyres mounted?
Not really an unsociable sod, just gives a good impression.
Member: 2216.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

fitting and balancing is £10-15 cash per tyre inc disposal of old ones at most tyre places

pilgrim55
80-90 Mem No: 4385

Post by pilgrim55 »

I look online then see if my local people can match or come near the price, they usually can and I feel happier keeping local services going and people employed.

Also have a theory that once there gone you might just find those internet chappies will have different ideas on prices.
If I was in a hurry I wouldn't have bought a VW!

MOBS

GavB95
80-90 Mem No: 13157

Post by GavB95 »

I use http://www.camskill.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for ordering my tyres and take them down to the local fitter. I've used Mytyres a few times too but they take a bit longer to arrive as they're based in Germany.

The OP reads as sales spam to me.
Bluestar T3 - AAZ/flipped Audi box

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

GavB95 wrote:The OP reads as sales spam to me.

It does doesn't it - the fact that he has a link through to an online tyre retailer in his signature makes you wonder whether he works for said online retailer. :roll:
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

GavB95
80-90 Mem No: 13157

Post by GavB95 »

Either way it's lead to a good bit of info from the rest of the contributers! :rofl
Bluestar T3 - AAZ/flipped Audi box