Best way to paint wheels?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

el_presidente
80-90 Mem No: 10395

Best way to paint wheels?

Post by el_presidente »

OK - potentially stupid question as I'm a bit new to all this. I've got the stock 14" steel wheels and they have rust spots, I've only got 3 hubcaps left and they have seen better days too. I'm more into the utilitarian look so I'd like to ditch the hubcaps and paint the wheels black. Would be it at all sensible do this with just hammerite / rattlecan or would the finish be so crap as to be useless? Should I get them powdercoated?? I'd be very interested in what anyone else has done with their steel wheels and pictures. Many thanks.

SMartin
80-90 Mem No: 11059

Re: Best way to paint wheels?

Post by SMartin »

Depends on the quality of finish you want or are willing to live with. Brush on hammerite will be the poorer finish but would look fine from a few feet away. Aerosol paints will go on smoother but may quickly flake off unless time is spent in preparation. Powder coating will give a hard wearing finish but comes at a much greater expense.
If you do go the paint route, be sure to remove all rust, thoroughly degrease and apply an etch primer to any bare metal.

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

I used a half can of Dulux black exterior gloss I found in the shed. Has been fine for 3 years +.
What a long strange trip it's been

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Whatever paint you use it will need periodic attention simply from the ravages of driving around. I used Halfords black enamel from a tin (around a fiver). I don't run with hubcaps either - looks fine to me, and I hate plastic wheeltrims.

If painting on the vehicle, make sure you roll the vehicle forward so the wheels have moved 180 degrees as you'll have missed bits no matter how careful. Don't pile the paint on or it will run into cracks then run later. spoiling what you've done. Don't forget the inside of the round holes.

Best to treat the rust with Vactan or similar and prep the wheels so the paint at least adheres to them otherise they will flake in no time. In an ideal world they're best grit-blasted and coated or galvanized but the above will smarten them up very cheaply.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

el_presidente
80-90 Mem No: 10395

Post by el_presidente »

Thanks alll, I will give it a go, what's the worst that could happen? :)

SMartin
80-90 Mem No: 11059

Post by SMartin »

?