Eberspacher Basics

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chrisevans

Re: Eberspacher Basics

Post by chrisevans »

An update I should say that the leisure battery was shot, it had a flip flop type relay than the correct double output . However the Eber is still not right. Takes a few goes to get it going and then it smells very dodgy . I am going to bite the bullet and investigate the noisy fan. The drive is on a slight slope which I guess could make a difference as well. Will also check the usual suspects glow plug and filters.
Last edited by chrisevans on 06 Apr 2012, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Ok I have pulled the Eber now. Bit of a fiddle to remove it . Looks nice and clean in the end. Broke the exhaust flexi and in the intake paper pipe. Worth changin them anyway and the ease with which the exhaust snapped leads me to believe it might have been leaking. Now for the strip down! Any things to look out for?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

http://letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/Eberspacher_Fuel_1.html This and its other pages will sort you.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Thanks for the tip. Where I am at present is that I have split the unit and torn it down to get the fan assembly off. In the process I had to hacksaw off two of the bolts as I couldn't seem any way in which to separate the unit - unless the stainless steel exhaust is removable from the heat exchanger? Is this possible does anyone know. I have taken lots of pictures on disassembly but I would stil highly value an exploded drawing of the units inside. None of the manuals I have seen thus far have this. Also it would seem that the fan assembly is supposed to be non serviceable as the screws are really tight. It does sound like the bearings is knackered on one end . I intend to see this through to the end now as I have got this far. Will post some pics later.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

What model is it?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

DaveyP2004
80-90 Mem No: 6116

Post by DaveyP2004 »

Hi,
Dependin on model the docs below have an exploded view of Eber:

http://www.westfaliat3.info/eberB1LD1L.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.westfaliat3.info/eberB2L-D2L.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some more downloads of Eber related docs on this page:

http://www.westfaliat3.info/html/westfa ... loads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Dave
(http://www.vwT25camper.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Cheers Guys that helps. The one bit I can see is how to fix the four 13 mm bolts back into place with the exhaust pipe in place as it fouls the two that are closes to it. Here is a pic with the fan housing removed - I had to cut two of the bolts and the third snapped off.

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

What you can't really see in the picture above is that the two threads on the left hand side are directly in line with the exhaust pipe. You can't get them in our out with the exhaust in place as far as i can see?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

I suppose my question is does the exhaust pipe/tube come off easily?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Does anyone know a good source of spares for this model?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

This is the motor assembly thats making the noise - I need to split this and find out why the bearing is noisy - gone this far I might as well keep going. Three of the screws are seized - typical. Tried an impact driver and a blow torch . Cant think of anything other to try then drilling them out? Any suggestions?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Bit of an update. I now have the fan unit down to individual components. The guilty bearings will be replaced. If you are interested they are NTN 626LB ball races. The way to get them out is to split the case by removing the five screws then undo the tiny grub screw on on side of the fan then heat the other fan up with a blow torch and tap the spindle through with a drift. Once it's through you can remove the circlip and the two ball races. I will take some pictures if anyone is interested?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Almost exactly two years since I took this apart. Life keeps getting in the way. It would be good if anyone has experience of going this far with the fan assembly. I have managed to make a bit of a pigs war of the shaft but I reckon it will clean up. I have a spring washer, a circlip and another c washer . Just trying to work out what goes where. I think the circlip goes behind the fan holding the shaft and bearings in place , pretty sure the clip went between the two ball races . Not sure about the spring washer . Any ideas anyone?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

To give you an idea here is a pictureImage