Removing a Westfalia Fridge.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Removing a Westfalia Fridge.

Post by PetenAli »

I'd be very grateful for a bit of advice please... I want to give my fridge a service and try and get it working on gas. Currently it works reasonably on 12 & 240 volt but wont freeze ice cubes. I'v found loads of useful info on servicing on here and managed to download a lot more (mostly from the USA) including a full service manual for a Dometic RM182B which is close to mine but not exactly the same.

Problem is that I can't get the bu%%er out! I have followed the instructions to the letter and it feels like it is caught on the left hand side (as you look at it). I've checked the small cupboard and can't see anything that is screwed through. This is what I've done so far (started by disconnecting both batteries and double checking gas was off at bottle):

This is the fridge:

Sadly I don't know exactly what model as this is all that is left of the silver sticker:

Removed outer vent cover:

and 2 allen bolts holding vent casing:

unplugged 240v and also 12v and disconnected gas feed at back of fridge:

I've undone screws going from righthand side cupboard but there aren't any in lefthand side (I can see the holes where they have been but they haven't been replaced)

Undone and removed the front frame leaving this:

So now it should just pull out but it seems to be catching on the left hand side and I just can't see what is causing this. Like I said - if anyone has any ideas I'd very grateful. I have to work over this weekend so thought that this was a job I could fit round work e.g. getting the fridge out and leaving it upside down for 24 hours as well as cleaning the jet etc etc.

Thanks very much,

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: Removing a Westfalia Fridge.

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

If there are definitely no screws it must be the flue pipe catching. Have you remove the table bracket fixing to see if they are the problem?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Thanks Tom,

Since posting I've been out and found another screw that was hidden in a larger hole in the carcass and this has loosened it a bit more but there must be another one in there somewhere as it is still held in. Got to go to work - late already but will try again tonight.

thanks again for getting back.

Pete

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Re: Removing a Westfalia Fridge. - DONE IT

Post by PetenAli »

Actually did it yesterday and left it upside down for 24 hours.

What was stopping it getting out was this bolt at the top left...

and a self tapper buried in the side of this hole gouged out of the carcass - the only way I could get it out was with a strong magnet (with the red end)...

So having got it out I'm trying to work out exactly what model it is. Already I can't work out how to get the jet out as it seems different to the manual so I'll start up another thread to get advice on the servicing.

Thanks again Ninja

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

That's an Rm182b. Early Westy fridge. Soak the jet in thinners or carb cleaner and makesure the fan is working.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Yep, the old getting the fridge out crack.... you have done it now, you will be like an F1 pit stop next time :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Thanks again. Already checked the fan and its knackered so will sort out a replacement. GoWesty do a good one but I'm not paying all that import duty. I've tried accessing the jet but so far can't work out extracting it - it doesn't quite match up with the RM 128B manual that I've found - will post about it when I've got some more pics to help explain it.

Pete

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

Turn the fridge upside down. aA the bottom of the chimney there is a box with five or seven screws. Remove them. Inside there is a tube with slots near the end where the flame sits. You will see a small screw that goes through a U shaped clip. Undo this and slide the flame tube out. You will now be able to see the jet. On the outside of the box where the jet is there is the gas pipe. Undo this and pull away then undo the jet and remove.

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Yep, the old getting the fridge out crack.... you have done it now, you will be like an F1 pit stop next time :mrgreen:

Already thinking about that! - Its got to go back in tomorrow so that we can get away after Easter. Got to get away from the nuptials! Going to hide in the middle of Dartmoor for a few nights. It will have to come out again in two weeks - Ferrari eat your hearts out!

Pete

Syncronaut #171

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

PetenAli wrote:Thanks again. Already checked the fan and its knackered so will sort out a replacement. GoWesty do a good one but I'm not paying all that import duty. I've tried accessing the jet but so far can't work out extracting it - it doesn't quite match up with the RM 128B manual that I've found - will post about it when I've got some more pics to help explain it.

Pete

If you cant sort it out I will be in ST Agnes from the 27th and dont mind giving it a strip down.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Turn the fridge upside down. aA the bottom of the chimney there is a box with five or seven screws. Remove them. Inside there is a tube with slots near the end where the flame sits. You will see a small screw that goes through a U shaped clip. Undo this and slide the flame tube out. You will now be able to see the jet. On the outside of the box where the jet is there is the gas pipe. Undo this and pull away then undo the jet and remove.

Top man =thanks. I'd worked out the box. Problem is trying not to disturb the piezo wire and the fail safe gas pipe that come into the box next to the main gas pipe. Does this show what I mean??...

Pete

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

Undo the screws you can see plus the surrounding ones in the pic. The jet is where the gas pipe is.

If you are stuck give me a call on 07904 314 694.
Last edited by ninja.turtle007 on 23 Apr 2011, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

If you cant sort it out I will be in ST Agnes from the 27th and dont mind giving it a strip down.

jed

Thanks very much Jed. If it isn't sorted by then I'd be grateful for your help. Would sort out a good meal for you and yours.

Cheers,

Pete

Syncronaut #171

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Undo the screws you can see plus the surrounding ones in the pic. The jet is where the gas pipe is.

I'll be on it at first light! Probably a question of lack of confidence on my part. I've had all 7 screws out and disconnected the gas pipe but nothing moved and I was worried about breaking some nearly 30 year old bits.

Thanks again,

Pete

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

If you have undone the 7 screws and the gas pipe then you are almost there. Undo the locking nut on the jet and the screw at the other end of the flame tube and you are there. These firdges are pretty robust. They have been bumped around in the back of an old van for 25+ years.