Best wind out awning for high top T25

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spev58
80-90 Mem No: 4600

Best wind out awning for high top T25

Post by spev58 »

Any suggestions/ideas on what would be the best wind out awning and best way to fit to my Hightop.
Are brackets best or bolting directly to the high top? 
1990 Wentworth

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Best wind out awning for high top T25

Post by Aidan »

Fiamma F45 generally regarded as good and well supported for spares and adaptors
If attaching to roof then you should ideally support the roof skin with steel brackets from the body (internal roof skin if still there ?)so the force isn't just taken on the fibreglass, whilst you can reinforce behind the fibreglass internally be aware that the awning case is straight and flat whilst the fibreglass generally isn't because of the subtle curve of the body which the roof follows 

lots will report that theirs is just bolted through the roof and there's a batten inside to spread the load and it's fine, I suspect it will vary depending on the roof, some may be specifically made to take an awning, mine isn't and is very thin so I am just repeating the advice Russel gave me, in the wind the awning takes a lot of load and you are adding a couple of metres of leverage into the equation

fixing to roof better for security and saves having any gap, fixing to gutter mounts is easiest and saves load on roof which isn't generally structural but you may need a gap filler at times, but a small length of floor vinyl as infill between gutter and case can easily be made and rolled up and kept in van for those times you need it

spev58

Post by spev58 »

Hi Aidan,   thanks for the info sounds like the gutter route will be the best/safest option to go down. Not sure I would want to risk attaching one to the high top after your  info. my van was converted in 1994 so although the high top ;looks in pretty good condition I sm guessing it will not be as strong as it would need to be to attach this directly to it. once again thanks for the infoa
1990 Wentworth

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JonathanR »

I have a fiamma awning and fixed to gutter. Very pleased with it although as stated above you have a gap that lets in rain. I did not go for a wind out one as they are heavier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

spev58

Post by spev58 »

thanks you
1990 Wentworth

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Can anyone describe how much water gets behind a Fiamma awning if connected to the gutter rail please?

So, light rain and heavy rain maybe?

I’ve been thinking about getting one and often wondered this.

Cheers, Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.