Westfalia lpg gas tank what regulator to run for a propex ?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Auto
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Westfalia lpg gas tank what regulator to run for a propex ?

Post by Auto »

Hi folks
yes clift_d I want to have the option to cook greasy food out doors as my bus is a tin top and I've just fitted a new material roof liner
so I was hoping to cook greasy stuff on the cardiac safari chef 2 i already have to keep the van clean ,
But now I've just realised my previous calor propane bottle I had was fitted had a 37 mbar regulator and the westy cooker worked fine with that
so all I need to do is replace the original 50 mbar regulator on the tank for a 37 one any one know were I can get one with 
the connections to fit the tank on and off tap and the bbq take off at the other side  ?
cheers phil

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Best people to speak to would be Günzl in Germany. They should be able to, if anyone can, advise on a regulator that would fit in place of the 50mbar one you have already on your tank.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi clift_d  yes I've tried to send them an email but it's not getting through and I then tried to call them and heard a load of German language 
as if I had to press numbers to be directed to the correct department but I couldn't understand what was said then got disconnected 
I even went to a gas supplier local to me but no luck their so can any one either send me a link that I can ask a question to Gunzl that works
or just have a look at these two regulators and hazard a guess at what i should get 

controller 30 MBAR  part number 333000259
Gas regulator 8mm without manometer  part number 333000312 
if any one has a clue please chime in if not I will take my chance on the second one of the two its much cheaper 
I'm not sure what a manometer is but it does look to be a 30 mbar regulator if you look at the lable on it

if any one can help it would be much appreciated 
cheers phil 

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi folks
I've got the old regulator off and disconnect the barbecue connector so looking at the Gunzl website it looks like their could be another choice
of regulator I could go for but it seems to have a rear conection point too but if I could get a block off nut to close that off hopefully i could just screw the barbecue connector in to the femail threaded end as per the same as the old 50 mbar regulator if that makes sence, please see below, as I said before any advice would be most welcome as I'm quickly losing the plot now 
Its on the Gunzl website it's at the top of the T3 gas list part number 0128009 it looks to have that femail screw on fitting to allow for the barbecue connector to be fitted 
cheers phil 

soImage

Auto

Post by Auto »

Forden341 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:58 I had a similar issue when installing a 30mbar heater in my otherwise 50mbar Gipsy.

https://www.autogasshop.co.uk/gok--trum ... -604-p.asp
I used one of these inline jobbies installed in my rigid lines. Works an absolute treat.

Hi folks just for those doing the same thing I ended up ordering one of these as suggested by Forden 341 from autogassshop 
they were very helpful indeed ,
I eventually got a reply from Gunzl that said my cooker and fridge would not work at 30mbar
I don't have the fridge but did run the gas burners at 37 mbar from a calor propane tank but nevertheless I have decided to 
stick with the original 50 mbar set up so I can keep the barbecue connector I haven't found a 30mbar regulator that will allow 
for the fitting of this barbecue conection and as I have a Cadac safari chef 2 gas barbecue I was considering swapping the original
gas jets from 30mbar to the 50mbar jets they are available but from Cadac Germany I think or Cadac international but they wont ship
to the UK since brexit and Cadac UK don't supply them but after searching on Google for 50 mbar Cadac jets I found a brickyard thread
asking the same thing and I found out it will work with the 30mbar jets if you use a 4 meter rubber gas pipe as the length seems to lower
the pressures so hopefully that's the solution 
thanks for everyone's input it's much appreciated and hopefully this might help someone doing the same thing one day
:ok
cheers phil 

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

I also run a 30mbar Cadac on an external point on my Gipsy at 50mbar. I contacted Cadac to try and buy a jet but they wouldn’t sell me one, gave some lame excuse but I can’t remember what now. The sizes of the jets are listed in the manual so it may be possible to solder and redrill the hole as I think it’s smaller but TBH I just fired it up and it seems to work just fine and had for 3 years.

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi Forden 341 did you run your cadac with a long gas hose ? or did it just work with a shorter gas pipe 
I just wondered as 4 meters seems a little long 3 meters would be pleanty for me as we've fitted our westy 
tank on the right hand side of our rhd double door, its easier to fill at the petrol station being the same side 
as the petrol filler and also that's the sliding door we sit at when sat under the arb awning the other sliding door
has the the interior on and doesn't get used so when using the cadac it doesn't have to come from the other side
if that makes sence
anyway thanks for your recommendation 
:ok much appreciated 
cheers phil 

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

clift_d wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 14:27 Best people to speak to would be Günzl in Germany. They should be able to, if anyone can, advise on a regulator that would fit in place of the 50mbar one you have already on your tank.

Or contact propex to see if it will work with a 50mb regulator, mine has done for 4-5 years with no issues

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

My orange flexi from the bbq point to the Cadac is 2m but I think the 8mm rigid pipe inside the van from the underslung tank regulator to the distribution manifold will add probably another 4m.

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi davidoft1,
yes I did ask propex and they said if I could even get it to light it would start up with a bang at 50mbars
they said they could re jet it to 50mbars at a cost of £45 plus postage so by the time I had sent it to them
and got it back it would have worked out more or less the same as the second stage dropper regulator 
and I didn't fancy pulling it all out again then refitting it after 
I have read that the earlier propex (the red ones) can't run fine on 50mbars mine is a later blue one so I'm
not taking any chances is yours an early one ?
anyway thanks for the interior it's a big improvement and much more comfortable for us  :ok
Cheers phil

ImageImage

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Auto wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 17:20 Hi davidoft1,
yes I did ask propex and they said if I could even get it to light it would start up with a bang at 50mbars
they said they could re jet it to 50mbars at a cost of £45 plus postage so by the time I had sent it to them
and got it back it would have worked out more or less the same as the second stage dropper regulator 
and I didn't fancy pulling it all out again then refitting it after 
I have read that the earlier propex (the red ones) can't run fine on 50mbars mine is a later blue one so I'm
not taking any chances is yours an early one ?
anyway thanks for the interior it's a big improvement and much more comfortable for us  :ok
Cheers phil

ImageImage

Mines a blue one , looking goood

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi davidoft1,
sorry mate too late now it's been sent so I may as well fit it now 
I'm glad you like the interior so do we 
thanks again 
cheers phil :ok