Gas Level Indicator

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Gas Level Indicator

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
I just bought a  Marksman Magnetic Gas Level Indicator for my calor 3.9 Kg propane gas bottle. It was cheap enough but won't fit this size bottle - indicator is too long.
a. Do these magnetic indicators work?
b. Is there a smaller version, to fit? Marksman don't supply one.
c. Is there a better/another solution to measure gas level? Do those gauges work?

Cheers!
Pete

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Re: Gas Level Indicator

Post by King Kenny »

I believe I'm right when I say the magnetic ones indicate a temperature difference between the cooler lower liquid gas layer and the warmer gas layer. The best way is to weigh the cylinder and take the result off the gross weight at full to give a total gas remaining weight. I think that is right. I just wait until the flame goes out.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

King Kenny wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 18:17 I believe I'm right when I say the magnetic ones indicate a temperature difference between the cooler lower liquid gas layer and the warmer gas layer. The best way is to weigh the cylinder and take the result off the gross weight at full to give a total gas remaining weight. I think that is right. I just wait until the flame goes out.
I agree that weighing would work, but it's such a faff to get the bottle out. Like you, I usually wait until the flame goes out, but this year I've been running the fridge on gas at various electric free sites and feel I need to pay more attention. I don't have anywhere to store a spare bottle.
Pete

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

I don't carry a spare either. There are plenty of outlets where I can get a refill, but as an emergency I have a small portable that uses aerosol cans to see me through.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

If you are using blue butane or red propane Not 'Camping gas' you can get a 'Gaslow' regulator with a pressure gauge, easy peasy, open cupboard, look at gauge and close cupboard. It is also good for keeping a check for any gas leaks, turn bottle off and keep an eye on the gauge to make sure that the pressure doesn't drop :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

weimarbus wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 07:03 If you are using blue butane or red propane Not 'Camping gas' you can get a 'Gaslow' regulator with a pressure gauge, easy peasy, open cupboard, look at gauge and close cupboard. It is also good for keeping a check for any gas leaks, turn bottle off and keep an eye on the gauge to make sure that the pressure doesn't drop :ok
Thanks for that. Will investigate carefully. Problem is only 20mm between top of bottle and shelf, so don't think I could see the gauge without withdrawing the bottle. :(
Pete