Holsworth Villa3 Pop top popped!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Holsworth Villa3 Pop top popped!

Post by Arripay »

Hello everyone,
have a bit of a problem with my roof, whilst opening/pushing the roof up the pin popped out of the nylon roller in the guide. I assumed this happened when the roof didn't go up squarely (perhaps miss matched pressure in the gas struts?)
The roof therefore won't go all the way up and lock into position it also is slightly proud when it's down.

Trouble is I am blowed if I can get the thing back in, I've tried waggling the whole roof, there is a bit of sideways movement but not enough to relocate the pin. 
Was going to try and undo the struts to see if I can get some more sideways waggle but the struts are currently holding the roof and therefore under pressure. 
Have thought about undoing the top bracket from the roof so maybe enough waggle.
Can't for the life of me work out how they would have put this in in the first place!

Anyone got any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry about rubbish photo, lifting the roof with my head and arm, lifting side panel with other arm! 
1990 Holdsworth Villa Pop Top 1.9 DG

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Re: Holsworth Villa3 Pop top popped!

Post by Arripay »

So removed the front weather shield and and had a poke about.
It turns out that half the baton that the slider channel screwed to wasn't secured to the roof at all, screws were screwed into baton, threads viewable but not roof. Therefore lots of waggle on front right. Must have come from Holdsworth Like that, amazed it it hadn't popped out before.

1990 Holdsworth Villa Pop Top 1.9 DG

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

The batton coulda popped off overtime due to vibrations and opening and closing the roof perhaps? 

Sadly I cannot help as I've got a side elevating roof which is simple in comparison. Good luck though. 
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

If you do need to detach the gas struts, put a ratchet strap around their length before undoing any bracket fixings (and still be very careful) They carry a lot of weight, and shoot out like javelins as soon as they're released. Dont get in the firing line!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed