Electrolux 3 way fridge problem

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SEKN410
80-90 Mem No: 11033

Electrolux 3 way fridge problem

Post by SEKN410 »

Hi all
 hope you’re all having a great bank holiday weekend  :ok
we’ve just returned from camper calling, which was pretty damn good, apart from for the second time this year I had to throw the entire contents (minus the beers obvs ) of my fridge away . Got setup Thursday night after running fridge at home on electric through the hook up and on 12 volt whilst travelling. By Saturday afternoon raw prawns had turned pink and fridge was 20 degrees. It lit first time on gas and stayed lit until I realised there was a problem and turned it off . The fridge has always worked well on gas but recently we have had the van restored with new cupboards , worktops and units but kept our original fridge. Does anybody think it could be something to do with the refit or am I missing something obvious. Both electric elements work and cool the fridge nicely but the gas lights but warms the fridge. Any help gladly received Thanks, Eugene and Tracy

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Electrolux 3 way fridge problem

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Not a boffin on fridges, but my understanding is that the 3 methods of supply heat the same area/chemical chamber, depending on what supply is selected. I have never used gas although it is available on mine, but reading up on it, the gas control should be set to 5 (MAX) and regulated accordingly as required. If working on electricity then maybe the gas control was set to low.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

As above, on absorber fridges all 3 methods heat up the same part of the piping. The 12V heater is a weak one with a high power consumption, so it only can be used to slow the warming up while driving.
The mains and gas heaters are stronger (usually gas is the best), but gas flute can be clogged, mains heater can fail.

Usually if one of the modes fail then the others are working.

The fluid inside the absorber fridges is corrosive. Rust develops and with time, those rust flakes can travel and block pipes and orifices inside. And the fluid is a mix, so the components can separate if you not using ot for long.

If none of the modes work you can try to remove the fridge, turn upside down, shake it well, turn back, wait a few hours and try to run it again.

And the fridge itself is very sensitive to being level. Be sure you park on a flat surface or it is levelled with chocks when you run it.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

SEKN410

Post by SEKN410 »

Ok, thanks for replies.
yes , fridge Works fine on mains and 12 volt so does that mean that there is just a problem with the gas not heating the right pipes to cool the fridge. If the flue is blocked it would restrict the flame so maybe not reach where it needs to to cool. Yeah I understand about it being level and we always check it is with one of the round target type spirit levels. I’ll take the fridge out and check flue.cheers all🤞Hopefully it’ll work 

SEKN410

Post by SEKN410 »

Took fridge out today cleaned all round burner and flue and blew it through with an airline fridge was down to 5 degrees after 5 hours so hopefully done the trick. Bit worried now about how warm it is behind and there was quite a few drips and wet floor from the metal Electrolux vent. Also although the flame seems stronger there is an orange glow as well as blue flame all around window. Does all this seem normal. Thanks all 👍