Drive away awning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Painter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Drive away awning

Post by Painter »

Hi all, have a poptop camper & looking for a drive away awning to fit?
I also have an ARB awning fitted so wondered if I can fit one also in between the brackets & leaving the awning in place??
Thanks in advance😁

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Re: Drive away awning

Post by Dad »

I’ve just got a new tent so my khyam motorhome sleeper is going spare. It’s quite old, 10 years maybe. But I’d be happy to sell it, pm me if you’re interested. 
With regard to the arb, I have a cassette awning and attach the khyam to that with a figure 8 and kador strip. 

1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

Painter

Post by Painter »

Thanks for your reply, and offer of awning. Looking at the air tube awnings for easy & speedy put up & down, so will pass on your offer of buying yours but thank you👍🏻!
Thanks for the tip of attaching the awning may look at that as a possibility.
Cheers 😁

Cheddies

Post by Cheddies »

I bought one from Decathlon (who knew!). It was cheap, Inflatable - so fast to put up and down. Works well with my hightop (I bought some big suction cups to help attach it to the side quickly).

1985 1.9 Petrol (DG) Waterboxer. Hightop - Original Komet conversion.

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Re air frame tents although they are quick to put up they are quite bulky and heavy, and don't cope with high winds as well as I had expected, basically a summer fine weather tent.

Regards Gary

(Extract from blog below).

Drive-away air-frame tent, (medium 3x3M)
 This tent has been modified to protect the air poles at the base from the possible attentions of our cat (link to modification). this link still throws up errors but I think it is safe I can post a copy here if people wont me too.

Photo the morning after a force 8 storm, had to sleep in it as the vane was out of action, interesting watching the air pole flex and pop back into place. ImageImage
although the tent stood up well to the storm it was necessary to move things away from the sides as it did flex considerably including the poles.
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-79-R16 wheels & tires.
https://www.thebeast.blog 

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I have an Olpro Cocoon Breeze inflatable awning which i can well recommend - goes up in minutes, sleeps 5 and really easy to set up.  You can also buy a porch to add on as well.  Only downside is that its quite bulky and can be a bugger to get back in the bag.

That said i got it on eBay direct from Olpro for a bargain £250.00 as it was a return and had a slight rip in the attachment to the bus which is easily repairable.  This was the first time using it last week:

'86 DG, Weber Carb

Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi all, thanks for all the replies on this some great help & advice.
So looks like you can attach an awning by means of the figure of eight attachments to the guttering, just depends on which awning to go for? 👍🏻

Siobhan

Post by Siobhan »

HI

I looked at a Vango driveaway awning at a festival in the summer and plan to get one for my A reg pop top. It's not too big and costs £285 and you can see it on the Vango site.

Has anyone else got one - does it work with a pop top? They told me it does!

Siobhan 

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

If you’ve got an arb awning it won’t be so easy to attach next to the van. You can extend the arb and attach a driveway to the c channel. Or just get an arb tent room like this https://campervanculture.com/shop/arb-d ... -x-2500mm/. Plenty of videos on you tube to show how it fits. Not a driveway but an option?
84 Caravelle 1.9DG