1982 Viking roof canvas refurb

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Theflyingjock
80-90 Mem No: 17394

1982 Viking roof canvas refurb

Post by Theflyingjock »

Hi all,
First time owning a t25. We bought a T25 with a Viking roof off my wife’s aunty and uncle. They’ve had it a while and done a lot of work to it which leaves me doing cosmetics really.

I want to re canvas the pop up roof, the canvas on there is original and is starting to get little tears in.

Couple of questions,
1) does anyone know where I can get the material from?

2) has anyone done this that may have a handy how to guide or videos to link to? I searched the forum and found an old post from someone who had done it but no guides.
Does the roof have to come off to get it done?

3) I wouldn’t mind changing the hinges and the front clamp down hinges at the same time, anyone know where I can get these?

Thanks in advance.
1982 bus with a scooby ej20 engine

Theflyingjock

Re: 1982 Viking roof canvas refurb

Post by Theflyingjock »

Bump

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

There's a thread a little way down this page but viking specific there's a useful page of faceache "VWV Volkswagen Vikings".

Roof catches: the admin on the fbook group makes them.
New vinyl from Kingswood canvas
How to replace? loads of pop rivets securing vinyl to the van roof, few screws and wood battens securing vinyl to fibreglass. You'll need to undo gas struts 1by1 to get the canvas on/off.
Hinges: I've used poptop-parts previously but I think they stopped trading. I think proudtopop do some hinges but not looked at them.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

Theflyingjock

Post by Theflyingjock »

Thanks jon,
Very informative group, I’ve spent the last hour or so endlessly reading hints and tips :ok

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

I used these latches to replace the original ones on mine (as in the style, double-check the size)
https://www.protex.com/71-653M1SS-adjus ... el-natural

I also got my new canvas from the company in Kingswood.

They always received good reviews on here but I had a couple of significant issues. Despite having my original canvas as a template the new canvas was a good 6 inches too short and needed to have an additional panel sewn in. It also leaked horrendously as the seam were not heat sealed when it was first returned to me - a bit of an oversight I’d say. That said, the issues were resolved and the cost was very reasonable.

I fitted it myself hence the slightly skew whiff rear window!
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Theflyingjock

Post by Theflyingjock »

Looks good mariner,
How easy was it to fit yourself?

mariner

Post by mariner »

Easy enough in terms of what you do - all pretty obvious and it’s a case of taking the old one off and then reversing the process.

Hot work under the canvas and a lot of removing of rivets. I suspect it would be much easier with a helping hand. I did it completely on my own when, occasionally, another set of hands would have helped.

Getting it taut and straight isn’t easy and something comes with experience I guess. I would suggest doing all the fixings with the batons (two long ones that run the length of the fibreglass roof and two short ones that run the width of the fibreglass roof) first. Then make sure you have your frame extended when you glue/rivet down the canvas to the van roof itself - if you don’t do this, you may find that when you come to push out your frame after fixing the canvas to the van that you’ve misjudged it and it won’t extend fully.

Definitely manageable and, to be honest, I couldn’t find anyone who would do it so didn’t have much choice!

mariner

Post by mariner »

A few pics to help.

Original canvas riveted (and glued down)

Battening along red lines plus one more along other length of roof. You need to remove one gas strut at a time to get off the side batons and place appropriate timber support in.

Lovely and airy inside once done.

Lots of swearing and a filthy and sweaty job but very satisfying when done and it does make a real difference.

Theflyingjock

Post by Theflyingjock »

Looks ace mate!