Cube Attachment Problem

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Cube Attachment Problem

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
Our 1990 T25, Cybil, came with a standard 2x2 metre Cube awning. When connecting the porch, using the gutter clamps provided we have a problem with  the sliding door fouling the side curtain and ultimately damaging it. :( Also can't fit the central clamp because the door fouls that even with the wing nut on the top.
Has anyone else had the same problem and how did you fix it?
Cheers! :D
Pete

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Cube Attachment Problem

Post by TONYT25T25 »

My camper also came with an awning and plastic figure of 8 fixings which are supposed to hold it in place on the gutter but are next to useless for this purpose, and as you say snags on the sliding door anyway, the awning has an extension fitted to it to allow these fixings but unless you angle up the awning the door will snag on it, I have seen extensions for the awning to fit on the gutter on the internet but they are a bit expensive, what type of fixings do you use at the moment.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Tony
The porch of the awning has a horizontal 20 mm rod inside the fabric which fits in the gutter. It's held there by 3 metal clamps. They do work - sounds better than your plastic figure of 8 fixings. Just Kampers sells them Gripper Clamps Pt J12003 £5.95 each.
Doesn't solve the problem though.
I'll give it more thought when I'm using it next week.
Cheers!

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Thanks, tried them gripper clamps before, the problem i had was fixing them when the awning was erected (I think they need to be fixed and then the awning erected afterwards, your awning sounds similar to mine with the nylon insert in the skirt for slotting into the gutter, problem i have is that I have a side opening roof which does not leave much room for the clamps when the roof is down, and as you say they still snag on the door when opening and closing, the extension pieces I mentioned earlier fit to the gutter and then extend at right angles upwards so that the awning when fixed to it is proud and above the door allowing it to open and close without snagging.  Ive seen them before on line before but cannot find them now.  Common issue I suspect and somebody else will be along in a minute with other ideas and solutions.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

ahhhh, always reassuring when you discover it's not just you that has a problem! 
Our Cube is the same, and yes the sliding door eventually ripped that side 'curtain', its now patched with gaffer tape on both sides.  Never found a solution to stopping it snagging in the first place. 
We never bother with the middle clamp because it is such a faff, its always been secure with a clamp at each end.

Rob

Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Piratepete

Post by Piratepete »

tandemsandy wrote: 08 May 2021, 18:25 ahhhh, always reassuring when you discover it's not just you that has a problem! 
Our Cube is the same, and yes the sliding door eventually ripped that side 'curtain', its now patched with gaffer tape on both sides.  Never found a solution to stopping it snagging in the first place. 
We never bother with the middle clamp because it is such a faff, its always been secure with a clamp at each end.

Rob

Hi Rob
Just had a great week away by Offa's Dyke. Used the Cube again but as a toilet tent! Forced to christen our new 335 Porta potti which has been taking up valuable space under the back seat and never been used. It's ok, seat's a bit small! :D
Same problem with door fouling side curtain, as before. Gaffer tape repairs required. But, I'm going to try making a plate to sit in the gutter to hold up the side curtain at the point that the door passes under. May make use of the spare centre clamp.
Cheers!
Pete