Keep my Sheldon vs Space Roof?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fun.
80-90 Mem No: 16678

Keep my Sheldon vs Space Roof?

Post by Fun. »

Hi All

Have been getting loads of work done on my van (essentially a full restoration) and I'm at the point where it's almost gone to paint, it currently has a Sheldon high top which I've enjoyed for the storage space and "just being ready" however it wasn't somewhere the kids wanted to sleep (nor us).

I've been looking at space roofs and they look pretty decent however I'm wondering if I'm doing something dumb in getting rid of the Sheldon, I'd imagine they will become harder to get over time however I'm also aware of it being harder to get new windows etc.

Any ideas / thoughts are welcome.

Fun.
_
Water Cooled 1983 Petrol T25
She's had 21 previous owners, I'm no. 22
She's now named Daisy

Mona
80-90 Mem No: 17323

Re: Keep my Sheldon vs Space Roof?

Post by Mona »

Hi,

Not advice as such, but I'd be interested in your Sheldon roof if you decide to take it off, to replace my EMC.

E D I T to add: or swap for the EMC, much more sleeping space up there compared to a Sheldon.
1982 1.6 air cooled high top

Fun.

Post by Fun. »

Hi Mona

Thanks for your response, the lid is currently off whilst repairs take place, not made the decision yet on which way to go yet, should I choose to not keep it I'll make sure to get in touch.

Cheers

Fun.
_
She's now named Daisy

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

For bad/cold weather camping a hightop is better.
As the kids get bigger and bigger it is harder to take them camping anyways and it is better if they sleep outside in a tent ;)
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Fun.

Post by Fun. »

Yeah, we snowboard so the thought of being a bit more cozy sounds great.  I do watch a guy in the states on youtube that does winter camping all the time in his Westfalia so I know it's possible with just the lid down.  

I think the one thing both myself any my partner have enjoyed prior to doing all this work is actually just parking somewhere and not having to pop the roof to be comfy / have space and a cuppa.  We do also love the form factor of the Sheldon on a T25, it looks like it's meant to be there.  

Van has been with garage for last 6 months so it's very difficult to visualise and remember whilst also trying to plan a new interior etc.  Am also not super handy at the DIY side of things (yet) so plugging in a new roof and just having ready seemed like a fairly reasonable idea, there's definitely a trade off :(
_
She's now named Daisy