Propex help please

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spitter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Propex help please

Post by spitter »

Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone could help with a problem I am having with a Propex HS2000. We had a day away last week and when out used the heater all working well. But since we have been home the heater will not work the yellow light was flickering all the time but would still work so I had a look at the wiring in the back of the thermostat and there was a frayed wire but I decided to replace the thermostat. But now it will not even light no power to it at all I checked the earth on the battery renewed one of the wires that looked a bit iffy but still no power to the thermostat let alone the heater I have spoken to Propex but not much help as they are snowed under. my camper i a komet 1.9 dg any pointers would be great many thank
Will

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Propex help please

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Usual problem is low voltage.

Number of flashes?

HS1800 fault diagnosis:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

spitter

Post by spitter »

Problem is its not even flashing it was working ok but with a the yellow light flickering so I decided to renew the thermostat now I have no power to the stat but power to the heater unit  before I replaced the stat it was running with the cold fan but when put on gas it would spin up but would not ignite its a HS2000 worked perfectly fine last week but now nothing

Oldiebut goodie

What was the process of fault finding that led you to replacing the thermostat? Return it to its previous state and fault find logically rather than just throwing solutions at it might be the first course of action.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

spitter

Post by spitter »

all I did was trim the thermostat wires that lead into the thermostat because one was frayed that's it. checked the cable to the main heater all ok check the power supply to it all ok even put the thermo back still no power at the stat again what I don't understand is that it was working fine when we had a night out on saturday night but when I went to use it again it would not fire up the fan would run for about 20 seconds if that then just turn off only the green light would come on but not fault light and now that I replace the stat nothing.

spitter

Post by spitter »

even put the old one back still no luck

Oldiebut goodie

You should be able to return it to the previous state - you did take notes/pics of the wiring before you changed things didn't you? If nada then you may have lost power usually due to fuse blowing somewhere due to miswiring it.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

spitter

Post by spitter »

Yes I did take pictures and the wiring is correct according to the instructions 

spitter

Post by spitter »

also reinstated old thermostat with no differences.

Oldiebut goodie

That points to a wiring change prior to the thermostat then - is there a hidden fuse that you haven't found yet?

You haven't clamped the insulation instead of the wire in those screw terminals have you? Just that they appear to be inserted quite far in that pic.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

spitter

Post by spitter »

I will have a look to see if I can find a fuse, and re-do the wires. But the pic is how it was originally wired up, the reason that I rewired was because of a crushed wire and a damaged wire that had no insulation on it exposed in the back it was the white wire that went into the LED connection which was constantly flickering not flashing a fault. 
thank for the advice big learning curve      

philmcC
80-90 Mem No: 13636

Post by philmcC »

I had a similar problem with my propex heater in my Komet. Checked all the wiring as you have done. Eventually I removed the PCB and sent to Propex. They tested it repaired it and sent it back for about £30. Fitted up and bingo all working again. They were very helpful, but are quite a small outfit and imagine they do get snowed under.philmcC

spitter

Post by spitter »

Would you mind explaining how you remove the PCB do you have to remove the whole heater to do this ?

philmcC
80-90 Mem No: 13636

Post by philmcC »

My heater is a 1600 compact, and if originally fitted circa 1986.
The PCB was in a little black box with a cable coming out of it going into the body of the heater. I opened the little black box, the PCB had six spade attachments. I took a picture of the setup then disconnected the spade terminals leaving me with a little PCB. I wrapped it up and sent  topropex --took about three weeks to sort it.philmcC

spitter

Post by spitter »

I have now taken the PCB out and there is a rattle in it so I think something has come loose in side. Packed it up and have now sent it to Porpex for testing here;s hoping. Mine is the HS2000 thank you so much for your help