First time camper owner!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: First time camper owner!

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Don.t be tempted initially to add/modify items that are currently working, you may find the money more useful for more important repairs when/if they pop up, after driving for a while these will become more evident.  I have learned more about vehicle repairs since owning mine but don.t let that put you off as it comes with the territory and there are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful members on this site.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Will89
80-90 Mem No: 17335

Post by Will89 »

weimarbus wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 13:11 Re cam, they are gear driven inside the crankcase, the roof is I think a 'Bilbo's' pop top. As others have said, best to use it before striping out the inside, that way you get to know where you would like to have drawers etc, fridge in the middle makes it more awkward to get sink in, but the holes in the body have now been cut so best to work around it. Most of all get away in it asap and enjoy it.  :ok

It’s already got a sink fitted :).
St Albans, Hertfordshire. 1984 'A' Reg T25 Pop-Top: 1.9 DG, 4-Speed manual.

Will89

Post by Will89 »

So I've submitted a V888 to DVLA with a cover letter requesting the details of previous keepers and any other information that maybe helpful to trace Flo's history (date she was registered as a motor caravan, original supplying dealership etc.) I've read a few success stories on other car forums so we'll see if DVLA process my request. Even if they do I don't suspect I'll have the information anytime soon due to the coronavirus situation. 

In the meantime I've been having a battery drain issue which I think/hope is mostly down me. The first time it appears I left the lights on. When I went to start the car after work the battery was completely flat again and I had to jump start it from a work van, although this time it looks like I left the sidelights on (!!) as the switch was in the middle position :oops: . My commute home is a 35 minute motorway journey so she had a good run after the jump start and all appeared well again. This morning the battery was dead again (!) however the lights were definitely not the culprit. A multimeter showed the battery was pretty discharged, reading 5.5v. This only started after I decided to have a fiddle around with the switches in the car, and I then noticed the battery power switch on the Electrolux fridge was on the 'on' position. I think this should only work when the ignition is on but the wiring in the car is pretty hodgepodge. Either way, I've got the battery on a smart charger again in hope it's still got life in it. Fingers crossed it was all just me being a huge plonker  :roll: :lol:

Johnboyanderson
80-90 Mem No: 17340

Post by Johnboyanderson »

Welcome. In the same boat too with similar looking bodywork and issues to work on.

It’s not going to end but all part of the fun.
Good luck
1983 Transporter. 1.9 Waterbox. London.
(New to the game)

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

Will89 wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 21:14 A multimeter showed the battery was pretty discharged, reading 5.5v. This only started after I decided to have a fiddle around with the switches in the car, and I then noticed the battery power switch on the Electrolux fridge was on the 'on' position. I think this should only work when the ignition is on but the wiring in the car is pretty hodgepodge. 
Had the same problem when I still had one of those fridges,
I put new leisure batteries in before I worked out the fridge switch..
kids had been trying everything out thoroughly.
Its a massive drain the fridge, my batteries never recovered.
After that I disconnected all possibility of 12v fridge.
And since then have junked the fridge too.
The new batteries feel a bit safer!

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Engine bay pic observations:
Get the hatch insulation tucked in or glued back before it droops near the exhaust...
The crankcase breather hose is almost falling off (between the black breather tower and the carb "pancacke" air intake. Best to replace as the rubber turns to licorice with age.
Engine might well be a DG with a Pierburg 2E3 carb, but it has the early cooling system so may have been "adapted"
Check that all fuel goses are ethanol resistant i.e. FPM/ECO, bin any that are marked R9 or universal regardless of age!

Will89

Post by Will89 »

silverbullet wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 08:06 Engine bay pic observations:
Get the hatch insulation tucked in or glued back before it droops near the exhaust...
The crankcase breather hose is almost falling off (between the black breather tower and the carb "pancacke" air intake. Best to replace as the rubber turns to licorice with age.
Engine might well be a DG with a Pierburg 2E3 carb, but it has the early cooling system so may have been "adapted"
Check that all fuel goses are ethanol resistant i.e. FPM/ECO, bin any that are marked R9 or universal regardless of age!

Good morning and thank you so much for all of this! I'll get straight on the insulation. I have noticed the idle is a bit rough and unstable, the crankcase hose will probably explain that  :idea .

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

No problem. Fuel hoses really should be the first job on any unknown petrol T3, the ones on your engine look ancient.

Will89

Post by Will89 »

I've completed the first 'non-essential' job which was to replace the awful FM/CD head unit the van came with. Due to the limited space behind the dash it just didn't fit properly and the FM reception was non-existent  :x . The single-din head unit market is really odd as the vast majority look 'boy racer' with loads of bright LED buttons and scrolling text on vacuum fluorescent screens - not my cup of tea at all. I ended up installing a JVC KD-X561 which provides all the modern features we wanted (DAB+, Bluetooth handsfree/streaming, USB, FM/AM) whilst looking fairly smart and having a good UI via the 3" screen. As it's mechless it fits perfectly without any modifications  :) .
Before:

After:

As the outside pillar aerial isn't amplified I opted to fit a Connects2 FM + DAB amplified splitter. When installing the splitter it it was immediately obvious why the FM reception was poor; the aerial connector had been cut off and DIY'd to make it male DIN  :roll: . I just had to put a new connector on the aerial feed and connect the amplifier to the head units "Power antenna" feed. Just from being on my driveway I seem to have all the normal FM and DAB stations available, although I've yet to see how this behaves 'in motion'

Now to enjoy some 80s music when cruising and camping  8)

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

The battery may have had it due to nearly being fully discharged a few times, they do not like being fully discharged and sometimes never recover fully.  I thought the alarm on my van was draining the battery as they do use voltage when they are either on standby or armed.  I also fitted an isolation toggle switch for the Radio in case this caused battery drain even when off at the unit itself.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Will89

Post by Will89 »

Well Flo’s been dropped off at Campervan and Coachworks near Stanstead for her body and mechanical health check. Fingers crossed there’s not too many red marks 😂

Will89

Post by Will89 »

Hi everyone,

So Campervan & Coachworks finished their mechanical and bodywork inspection and it seems like Flo isn't a lemon :) . She was described as "honest, but needing some TLC." There's a few mechanical items to attend to which has been agreed on so we can (hopefully) enjoy Flo over the summer. We plan to book her in for the the required bodywork over the autumn / winter.

On the identity front
As mentioned in my previous posts I'm trying to find out more about Flo's past and specifically who converted her to a camper. C&C said the following:

"Your van is a panel van that has been converted to a Devon Moonraker. The roof indicates this and the window frames tell me it was originally a panel van. It may have been converted from new by Devon as they often bought Transporter panel vans to convert."

I've contacted Devon Conversions and they said: "It looks like a Devon roof but it should have a Devon chassis plate if it was an original conversion." Does anyone know where this chassis plate will be and what identifiers it will have on?

A user on Facebook suggested it could be a Bilbo conversion, so I've also contacted them in hope they have records and they've said: "It looks like a Bilbos roof but the interior isn't a Bilbos. We used to offer a 'Roof it only' service in the past... unfortunately our records do not go back that far but I have been at Bilbos a long while and recognise the roof & carpet trim for the roof beds"

So I'm still perplexed! I sent a V888 off to DVLA requesting any information they have that may assist with Flo's history including when / who changed the body type on the V5 to 'Motor Caravan" and the 8 previous keeper details. I think it's very unlikely they'll provide me previous keeper details unfortunately, as much as I'd love to speak to them about her. I know the details of the 8th and 7th keeper, however I don't know who the 6th (2008-2011), 5th (1991-2008) 4/3/2/1 keepers are. They vehicle check I purchased doesn't have any previous keeper dates prior to 4th.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Good to hear that the van didn't come up with anything nasty! 
I'm quite lucky in regards to history, I have service history going all the way back to when it was converted in 85!. Also have the leisuredrive brochures! 
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

Devons normally have (or had) a sticker inside the roof, sometimes right at the front. They also had a sticker usually on  the passenger side 'A' pillar. Silver coloured, square.

The current Devon Co has very little info about vans made in the '80s.  

If you haven't found this it may be of interest

http://www.devon.vwt25camper.info/
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

No headrests on the front seats ! they can be fitted, the holes will be in the metal under the cover.  
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon