First time camper owner!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Will89
80-90 Mem No: 17335

First time camper owner!

Post by Will89 »

Hi everyone,

New member here :) . I've had the itch for a while and I finally scratched it and bought my first ever VW Camper:

Name: Flo
Model: T25/3
Year: 1984
Engine: 1.9 water-cooled (I believe to be the DG?), 4 speed manual. Power-steering retrofitted
Mileage: 58k

Her bodywork is fairly average, here are the visible locations of rust:

The camper portion has clearly been DIY'd at some point, I think the unit fronts are from a domestic kitchen :lol: . We plan on ripping most of it out time / budget allowing. Here it is:

We've got a long list of things to do, but first on the list is having a health check and body inspection performed by the team at Campervan Coachworks in Essex. We'll prioritise the work based on what their report says but the to-do list so far is:
  • Service the brakes (they're binding currently)
  • Full service of the engine, likely cam belt change as I've got no evidence of it being changed (!)
  • Any welding work
  • Two-tone respray
  • New interior units, floor, upholster curtains RnR bed etc
  • Convert to square headlights
  • Tidy up the wiring, the leisure battery is completely dead

I'm keen to find out a bit more about Flo's history and it would be great to speak to any previous keepers. I'd like to find out when she was converted and registered as a campervan. I can't work out whether this was done professionally (Leisuredrive, Autosleepers, Devon etc) or privately. I'm hoping DVLA could also tell me when the body type was changed to 'Motor Caravan'. 

Has anyone had much success getting previous keeper details from DVLA via a v888, or any tips for getting in touch? Going by the MOT locations online she's been in the following areas since 2005:
2005-2011: Sevenoaks, Kent
2012-2013: Swanley, Kent
2013-2021: Ashtead, Surrey (previous owner I purchased from)

St Albans, Hertfordshire. 1984 'A' Reg T25 Pop-Top: 1.9 DG, 4-Speed manual.

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Re: First time camper owner!

Post by moggymorgan »

Hi and welcome to the club. 
  nice looking van,  big list you have there. Hope you have deep pockets. One thing leads to another with these vans.that said I hope you get it all sorted and have some great times making memories.  :ok
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

Will89

Post by Will89 »

moggymorgan wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 10:25 Hi and welcome to the club. 
  nice looking van,  big list you have there. Hope you have deep pockets. One thing leads to another with these vans.that said I hope you get it all sorted and have some great times making memories.  :ok

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome! It’s a long old list for sure but we wanted a project as well as something for adventures. I just hope there’s not too many hidden gremlins when a pro looks over her. To my (untrained) eye she looked ok for the age!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking old girl and doesn't look bad at all - you're never go to find one that doesn't need some sort of work in some way, shape or form.  

You can spend, spend, spend on these buses so worth getting to know your way around the engine - along with the full service, and if funds permit, i'd also go for a coolant change and a gearbox fluid change as well as these are sometimes neglected by previous owners.       
'86 DG, Weber Carb

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Welcome - a few early suggestions.

Get yourself signed up to club8090, not just the forum - the link's at the top of the page. There are member's only areas of the forum that have details of things like discounts etc.

Don't forget the wiki - again link is at the top of the page. Most questions about these vans have been answered before and a lot of those answers are in there. Where they aren't then a simple search should turn them up.

Put details of your van and location in your signature - it helps people respond to your questions.

:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

And when you join the club you will be required to enter the registration number, which may* bring up previous owners if the were a member of this forum before .....

* we have only been collecting registration details since 2019 and haven’t as yet put out the request to members who joined before that to add their numbers , so it’s a slim chance in your case sadly 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Hi and Welcome!

I believe you can cross cam belt change off your list....as I don't think the flat four has one  :D

Also - think twice before ripping your units out before the camping season. Cautiously optimistic that we will get some camping in this summer...so get her service so you know she is safe  - then enjoy her!  By using her you will learn what works in they layout, and what you would improve. You will also get to see other layouts and ideas if you go to the odd show, or local club meets (vw etc). 

most of all - enjoy it...cos once you start ripping it out you can't camp in it :-)

Emxx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your new project! As above you could leave the camping interior in place and enjoy the camping session, it could be your winter project. I'd focus on the brakes and engine for now, enjoy!  :D
1983 DG Kamper 2

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Good luck and have fun. Get that dangling insulation in the engine bay out of the way!
Honorary "Dave" 

Will89

Post by Will89 »

Mocki wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 16:15 And when you join the club you will be required to enter the registration number, which may* bring up previous owners if the were a member of this forum before .....

* we have only been collecting registration details since 2019 and haven’t as yet put out the request to members who joined before that to add their numbers , so it’s a slim chance in your case sadly 

Hi, good tip! I've just joined the club and entered the reg, let's hope we get a hit!  :ok

Will89

Post by Will89 »

Sir Brixalot wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 18:26 Good luck and have fun. Get that dangling insulation in the engine bay out of the way!

Thank you! Another thing to add to my 'to-do' list  :rollin

Will89

Post by Will89 »

ermie571 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 17:01 Hi and Welcome!

I believe you can cross cam belt change off your list....as I don't think the flat four has one  :D

Also - think twice before ripping your units out before the camping season. Cautiously optimistic that we will get some camping in this summer...so get her service so you know she is safe  - then enjoy her!  By using her you will learn what works in they layout, and what you would improve. You will also get to see other layouts and ideas if you go to the odd show, or local club meets (vw etc). 

most of all - enjoy it...cos once you start ripping it out you can't camp in it :-)

Emxx

RE Cambelt: are they chain driven then? I'm pretty sure I have the 1.9 DG but can't locate the engine number to confirm. I'm keen to know whether it's the original too!

RE The interior: Very valid point, it's all functional with exception to the Rock 'N' Roll bed; it doesn't quite RnR anymore and needs a couple of bits replacing. I'll fix this and maybe just upholster the bed, my partner's mum is nifty with a sewing machine  8)

Will89

Post by Will89 »

Any hints or tips to find out whether my van was a professional conversion (Auto-sleepers, Leisuredrive, Westfalia, Devon etc) or a DIY job? The interior screams DIY but then the pop-top etc suggest otherwise?

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Re cam, they are gear driven inside the crankcase, the roof is I think a 'Bilbo's' pop top. As others have said, best to use it before striping out the inside, that way you get to know where you would like to have drawers etc, fridge in the middle makes it more awkward to get sink in, but the holes in the body have now been cut so best to work around it. Most of all get away in it asap and enjoy it.  :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

Welcome to your new obsession!
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett