Where to route cables

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Funkychops
80-90 Mem No: 0

Where to route cables

Post by Funkychops »

Hi all

I'm progressing the interior build of our high top camper, which was started by the previous owners. Its a windowed base vehicle, so I'm wondering how to route the cables from the roof, coming down from the solar panel and also those going up to the overhead lights. I can't see an obvious way I to the bodywork but I wonder if I'm missing something - so, is there an obvious cable run that other builds use?

Thanks
1983 2L Air Cooled (CU) T25 Hightop
Based in Bristol

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Where to route cables

Post by Mocki »

From where are you wa ting to start the cable runs ?
Most factory conversions run up the B pillars from the battery box and along the top of the panels above the windows

You can go from the fuse box and the o/s up the A pillars to the air duct and along with the original interior light loom
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Same here, the cables for the lights in the living area in my Autohomes (that are mounted high) run internally down the pillar near the middle window.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Funkychops

Post by Funkychops »

Thanks

I'm wanting to go more or less straight up between the middle and rear window. The solar panel is on the back section of the high top and the battery is next to the rock and roll bed (wouldn't fit under the seat). I just can't see an obvious way to go up the window pillar at this location
Based in Bristol

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Mostly under the carpet trim . What conversion is yours ?

When I built my camper I ran a main feed up the a pillar . There are holes in the b pillar but it’s exptremely hard to route cables through the gap at the top .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Mocki wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 18:00 Mostly under the carpet trim . What conversion is yours ?

When I built my camper I ran a main feed up the a pillar . There are holes in the b pillar but it’s exptremely hard to route cables through the gap at the top .
I found that out when redoing my interior. Had some metal wire lying around and fed it through, taped the wires on to the end then pulled the wires through. 
Still waiting for my van to get back to me so I can start the task of redoing all the leisure wiring.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Funkychops

Post by Funkychops »

In some distant past I think it was an Autohomes but it's since been totally gutted and redone, I suspect more than once...

I've tried the furthest back B pillar but it was a nightmare where the pillar joins on to the roof. I could go down the external surface of the pillar and carpet over the top, but I'd rather take an internal route if I can...
Based in Bristol