Running Rm212 fridge on solar?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

haty167
80-90 Mem No: 0

Running Rm212 fridge on solar?

Post by haty167 »

Hi looking for some advice,
My fridge works on 12v and 240 but fails to ignite on gas....(I've cleaned out gas jet and other parts) As it works on 12v,  I was wondering if its possible to run the fridge on the  leisure battery with solar panel fitted? If so, what size solar panels would I need? My leisure battery is 70ah...I only run interior lights from leisure battery and then only have 1 on for a maximum of half hour each night if that.
Thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Running Rm212 fridge on solar?

Post by Mocki »

its not going to work !
the 12v element will draw 11amps constantly , so your 70aH battery will last less than 3 hours and you would need a solar panel of approx 200w to keep up in height of summer and then you would have a shortfall of at leat 6 hours of darkness that your battery couldnt cover.you would need a battery capacity of 200a at least .

much easier, cheaper and more efficient to get the gas side sorted . 

the 12v side is only designed to run from the main battery via a alternator triggered relay so it can only be on whilst the engine is running.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I have the same fridge, all plumbing is there for gas but never tried it.  Dual charge system via a relay keeps the leisure battery topped up but is not sufficient to run the fridge even with a solar panel attached, although the solar panel I use is very small and only good enough to keep the leisure battery charged enough for interior lighting and mobile phone charging during the day.  I even tried connecting the fridge directly to the leisure battery (don't try it) it draws to much current and the wires get very hot.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

haty167

Post by haty167 »

Thanks guys for your responses and info, I thought that might be the case!, i'm loath to replace the fridge as I like the original features..i'll knuckle down and try and get the fridge sorted.
Cheers 

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

The gas system is really very simple , basically if it’s clean and clear and the fridge is level it will work .
 If it is working on mains , but not on gas, chances are the flu is blocked, or the jet is blocked, or partially blocked . 

It is also important to remember that a flame only ever burns vertically in a drought free environment, so the fridge must be within a couple of degrees of level for the flame to "hit the mark" , this however will not have much effect on electric only gas

12v feed should be fused to the relay from the main battery 
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Circuit ... Sw4UtWRMVM

If it’s not working on gas , but is lighting , you need to clean the burner assy 
 Turn the fridge upside down, undo the burner retaining screw from the bottom of the chimney heat shield and disconnect the gas pipe , blow high pressure compressed air through the jet ( never "proggle" with anything , of you make the hole in the jet anything other than perfectly round the gas won’t squirt in the right place ) you can force WD40 or similar through it with airline 
 You need a big blue flame the full size of the burner mesh when you reassemble it 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Correction to my comment above, the fridge was connected to an inverter directly connected to the leisure battery, which in turn had a small solar panel attached to it, my thoughts were that the fridge would operate as if on 240v, the connection (crocodile clips to the inverter directly from the battery) became very warm if not hot, so shelved that idea, not sure if thicker cables would have worked but left it as no go area.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

haty167

Post by haty167 »

Mocki wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 09:38 The gas system is really very simple , basically if it’s clean and clear and the fridge is level it will work .
 If it is working on mains , but not on gas, chances are the flu is blocked, or the jet is blocked, or partially blocked . 

It is also important to remember that a flame only ever burns vertically in a drought free environment, so the fridge must be within a couple of degrees of level for the flame to "hit the mark" , this however will not have much effect on electric only gas

12v feed should be fused to the relay from the main battery 
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Circuit ... Sw4UtWRMVM

If it’s not working on gas , but is lighting , you need to clean the burner assy 
 Turn the fridge upside down, undo the burner retaining screw from the bottom of the chimney heat shield and disconnect the gas pipe , blow high pressure compressed air through the jet ( never "proggle" with anything , of you make the hole in the jet anything other than perfectly round the gas won’t squirt in the right place ) you can force WD40 or similar through it with airline 
 You need a big blue flame the full size of the burner mesh when you reassemble it 

Thanks for this Mocki. I have a spirit level on fridge to make sure van is level but will try and do a good clean on burner assy when it stops raining!!

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

Hi all
I was told at a caravan repair centre that gas on a 3 way fridge is the easiest to fix and always doable.
Have a look on you tube for CVC's video of servicing the fridge
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop