Recommendations for new bed

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Recommendations for new bed

Post by mariner »

Hi all. Interested in any recommendations anyone has for a new rock and roll bed. Re-doing the interior of mine and changing out the current on for something newer.

Remember reading about this on here a while back but can't find the thread now. Remember m1camperbeds being mentioned and have had a look at their bed. It comes with two three point belts built into the bed. I Thought they also had headrests and they do, but after speaking to them it seems the headrests are formed by cutting the ply and foam that fit to the frame into the headrest shape rather than any modification to the metal frame itself.

Has anyone had any success with other companies that are worth looking at? Cheers.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Kristof
80-90 Mem No: 16273

Re: Recommendations for new bed

Post by Kristof »

Rusty Lee's seem to come quite well recommended. Just ordered myself a full width bed, comes with boards as well.

QuickBrownFox
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Hi mariner

What did you go for in the end? (Old thread i realise)

Br

Andrew
That would be an ecumenical matter

1986 Holdsworth Vision High Top. 1.9DG.

mariner

Post by mariner »

QuickBrownFox wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 21:06 Hi mariner

What did you go for in the end? (Old thread i realise)

Br

Andrew
Hi Andrew. Been pathetically indecisive! The van is due back from the sprayers in about 6 weeks so now need to make a decision. Having had a good look around, it seems to be either Rusty Lees or m1camperbeds. The beds by M1 look more substantial.

They also come with two 3 point harnesses attached, and tbh this is the only thing stopping me ordering at the mo. I want the two 3 point harnesses (had a rubbish lap belt and 3 point previously, each attached to the van) but I'm unsure about them being mounted on the bed in case of an accident. If the bed comes away it takes the kids with it, although if it comes away and the bels are attached to the van, 'm not sure they're any better off. Don't think there's any perfect way to ensure safety when you fitting a non crash tested bed in a 35 year old van!

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Thanks for the reply. I dont think the m1 beds are the most aesthetically pleasing but for the same reason as you I am considering one. I need 2 3 point seat belts and looking for the simplest solution. I've read some old threads on here re m1 camper beds and some from the guy who makes them too. I was thinking maybe getting isofix put in but that only buys you a few years dependent on age of passengers. It would help to know that m1 camper beds we are considering for t25s were Mot compliant. I know that we will struggle to get beds fully crash tested but to know they meet minimum standards for mot would really sway my decision in favour. It will be a while till I make a decision. My vans not there yet shall we say and no time with a littlun and one a few months away. Long term project I tell my wife

Thanks again

mariner

Post by mariner »

QuickBrownFox wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 21:57 Thanks for the reply. I dont think the m1 beds are the most aesthetically pleasing but for the same reason as you I am considering one. I need 2 3 point seat belts and looking for the simplest solution. I've read some old threads on here re m1 camper beds and some from the guy who makes them too. I was thinking maybe getting isofix put in but that only buys you a few years dependent on age of passengers. It would help to know that m1 camper beds we are considering for t25s were Mot compliant. I know that we will struggle to get beds fully crash tested but to know they meet minimum standards for mot would really sway my decision in favour. It will be a while till I make a decision. My vans not there yet shall we say and no time with a littlun and one a few months away. Long term project I tell my wife

Thanks again
I've taken the plunge and ordered one from M1campers. Their lead time is currently double what it normally is at 12 weeks! Everyone's fitting out a camper!

Re. being MOT compliant, you're not going to get this assurance whoever you buy from as the beds aren't accredited in this way. There is no minimum MOT standard afaia and there are no crashed tested beds available for the T25. The bed I previously had in mine was the original from 1985. It was bolted through the floor with four bolts and no spreader plates underneath - was never failed in an MOT test in 36 years.

There is only so much you can do re. safety in a van as old as ours. We will now have 2 three point harnesses and the ply board cut with additional headrests. This will make it far safer for our kids should we have a bump at low/medium speed. I think the reality is, that beyond that you are in the lap of the gods whatever route you take in a 40 year old camper.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Meant to say, I will update with pics and stuff for you once fitted. Cheers, John.

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Ah congrats. Yes pics would be ace thanks. The previous conversation I was referring to was the seatbelts on the bed and the mot rather than the bed itself. If I remember rightly the guy who was flagged it as a concern by the mot garage just recommended they swapped out the seat belt bolts for some bigger ones. Not sure if m1 campers still use the same size bolts or whether the mot garage was just being pernickety in the first place.

Look forward to the pics mate.

Andrew