Awning rail

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Awning rail

Post by 100leelee »

Hi,
Rather than mount the awning rail to the side of my 30+ year old high top... am looking to buy the Fiamma mounting brackets, the weld/bolt a section of channel to these and then mount the awning rail to this..

Might sound like overkill.. but I don’t fancy adding holes to old fibreglass..??

Any comments, has someone tried similar?

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Awning rail

Post by jrt »

Is it a roll out one? If so i used sikaflex and a few self tappers along the length. Not had a problem with water or any cracking of the roof etc.
David.
the future is unwritten

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

Not sure which to buy yet.
Roll out ones aren’t great as if you wanna go anywhere, everything’inside’ has to move..
Drive away looking favourite.. having owned a caravan for years before the van, I know how much hammer these rails can take...

Silkaflex is good stuff for sure, will be the roof that goes before the silkaflex that’s for sure!!!

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

If using a drive away awning then the best mounting method is with a pole and clamp into the gutter, pull up next to the awning, place pole in gutter and clamp both ends, easy peasy and quite forgiving with the van position.
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

UnsyP
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by UnsyP »

I'm not that handy when it comes to drilling and stuff, but I always give things a try. I was nervous too when thinking of drilling into the fibre glass; but if done properly, with patience; then all is good. I purchased one of these

https://camperessentials.co.uk/product/ ... one-piece/

They are a full one length rail; so no messy joins to match up with 2 or 3 piece alternatives. You can then just slide in the awning with the figure of 8 attachments.

This is mine, I painted it too so it would match the colour scheme.