Mattress for side opening pop-top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jungle_Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Mattress for side opening pop-top

Post by Jungle_Jim »

Hi all,

I picked up my first T25 on Tuesday. It has a side elevating Devon type pop-top but is currently not geared up for sleeping up there although there is carpeted MDF above the cab and rear. I assume I will need to trim down a piece of MDF that will can be placed over the middle when needed and source 3 bit of foam or mattress topper and get them covered. These could then hopefully live in the gap under the pop-top while driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what sort of foam/topper to use (obviously can't be too thick so would need to be dense I assume). Also if someone knows of an off-the-shelf option available online I would be keen to hear, I couldn't find anything online.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Mattress for side opening pop-top

Post by slowcoach »

I'd use ply wood rather than MDF. Stronger, more water resistant [THUMBS UP SIGN]
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

I have a side-elevating Devon pop-top. I think the bed boards are original, but there are only 2 of them. Can get you sizes if you're interested.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi,
The Devon has two board made from a hardboard skinned egg box cored board, quite light with a about 3" of foam velcroed to the top. The board is very similar construction as an interior door, not the strongest but OK for kids to sleep on.

Regards

Pete
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Jungle_Jim

Post by Jungle_Jim »

thanks everyone, will be sure to get ply, probably 18mm and marine quality to prevent warping.

Any suggestions on type pf foam would be helpful, I think I can probably get 2 or 3 inch as there's a reasonable gap to the shell top of the roof.

Cheers

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

The 18mm ply will be very very strong, but also pretty heavy. Children will be very safe on 12mm, and even most adults who aren't overly heavy. Speaking about birch/marine ply. 'Construction' / cheap ply is less so [THUMBS UP SIGN]
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

bat
80-90 Mem No: 12385

Post by bat »

Lightweight plywood is available (but cost more), made from Poplar.
There are other suppliers https://hanson-plywood.co.uk/products/p ... ut-plywood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but this is basically it.

Regards Gary
Sheila's & Gary’s long-term project. A 1988 RHD diesel Syncro camper van.
1900 tdi ahu, on 235-70-R16 wheels & tires, & a few other mods
https://www.thebeast.blog 

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

petethefeet wrote:Hi,
The Devon has two board made from a hardboard skinned egg box cored board, quite light with a about 3" of foam velcroed to the top. The board is very similar construction as an interior door, not the strongest but OK for kids to sleep on.

Regards

Pete

Hi

My 1982 devon also has x2 boards (original) they are solid ( quite heavy) with about 3" dense foam - the foam mattress is covered in a brown material and underside is the fawn coloured carpet material the interior is trimmed with . both have a plastic runner that positions the bed bases in the slots the boards rest in.

Michael4
80-90 Mem No: 16731

Post by Michael4 »

The benefit of two boards is that you can stack the front one on top of the back one allowing plenty of headroom when cooking etc
1985 1.9 DG Devon Moonraker with solid sided pop top

cammcintyre
80-90 Mem No: 15998

Post by cammcintyre »

Hi,
I have a Devon Moonraker 1980 which also came with two upper bed boards. They have, however, ended up in pretty poor condition through years of use, so I am looking to remake them (I am also thinking 18mm ply so it can take adults).

Does anyone have the dimensions of the two original pieces? (mine were long gone before I had the chance to take the measurements)

Cheers!