Winterising

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Winterising

Post by Piratepete »

Newbie here with a 1990 2.1DJ Holdsworth Villa 3 PopTop.

Previous owner had a garage - I don't have that luxury.

1. He's given me a breathable caravan cover. Does the van have to be dry before I fit it? Fat chance at the moment!

2. Do you remove all cushions to a drier place? Drain the water tank? What else?

3. The drain holes from the baggage area at the front of the fixed roof have been blocked up by a previous owner (over 7 years ago), I guess for good reason. This means that this area is often full of water :cry: Where did they drain to? Into the body? Was there an issue with rust?

Cheers!
Pete

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Winterising

Post by irishkeet »

not a fan of covers, wax & drive :mrgreen:
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Me neither..
Use carnuba wax for weather protection.
Expect some trouble after long lay up.
Noisy tappets, earth faults, electrical faults, seized calipers etc.
These old ladies were designed to be workers not shirkers.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

moggymorgan
80-90 Mem No: 7655

Post by moggymorgan »

chock the wheels and leave the hand brake off. put some of those cheap damp traps inside.
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HansT »

If you're not driving it regularly, at least disconnect the battery(ies). Ideally bring batts indoors and put on charge with an automatic / intelligent charger from time to time.
Do a full cooling system flush and replace the coolant - important for corrosion protection. See the Wiki for details.
But do use it - winter can be a fantastic time to get out to all those crowded summer tourist spots, quieter now, and enjoy a mug of something hot when you get back to the van.
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Post by Dubworth »

irishkeet wrote:not a fan of covers, wax & drive :mrgreen:

This for me. Good tough wax like Collinite on paint, if you have a fibreglass high top, get the ladders out and clean that then whack a coat of Finish Kare 1000p fibreglass sealant on it(I've only thought to do this recently and wish I'd started sooner, properly protects the gel coat).
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Dubworth wrote:

This for me. Good tough wax like Collinite on paint, if you have a fibreglass high top, get the ladders out and clean that then whack a coat of Finish Kare 1000p fibreglass sealant on it(I've only thought to do this recently and wish I'd started sooner, properly protects the gel coat).

Like.
:ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

peteandnero
80-90 Mem No: 7023

Post by peteandnero »

HansT wrote:If you're not driving it regularly, at least disconnect the battery(ies). Ideally bring batts indoors and put on charge with an automatic / intelligent charger from time to time.
Do a full cooling system flush and replace the coolant - important for corrosion protection. See the Wiki for details.
But do use it - winter can be a fantastic time to get out to all those crowded summer tourist spots, quieter now, and enjoy a mug of something hot when you get back to the van.

Hi Hans,

you recommend replacing the coolant. Is that particular to the original engines or would this apply to my AFN conversion? I'm prone to forget about coolant unless things are going wrong!

Pete
1989 Westafalia Joker 1.9 TDI (MVE Conversion)

HansT
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HansT »

Hi Peteandnero,
I spose my mind set is DG wasserboxer - others far more expert will be able to shed some light on the particulars (or idiosycrasies) of your AFN.
Out of interest, how long have you had your van? Being a careful-ish bloke I would check, or have checked, all the things they look at for MOT, plus have brake fluid checked for water contamination. Then replace fuel lines, both ways. Breather pipes on the fuel tank... A bug bear of mine, but the b******s rot from the inside...
Additional, separately wired air horns are a bonus - or a life saver - for motorway driving. The 'Herbie goes to Monte Carlo' 'parp parp' is so sweet... But not at anything like motorway speeds.
H
85 1.9 DG petrol Holdsworth Villa
Diesel T4 Caravelle 8 Seater

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Dubworth wrote:

Might have a go at that fibreglass treatment as my Leisure drive high top seems to attract that black mildew/whatever. Sadly as previously mentioned rusting large emanates from the inside and underneath particularly where the design objective is defeated by blocked drainage vents in sills aand door bottoms.

As an aside I am afraid I am just a tad remiss on the vehicle washing front. and although I run both the van and my Focus throughout the year on the washing schedule basis that if you can run your finger along it and it doesn't leave a trace then it doesn't want washing.

While the van has had a couple of washes due to the halo effect of a comparatively recent recent respray, I am shocked to say that the focus hasn't had a wash since I got it around two years ago :oops: . In terms of cleanliness though it is indistinguishable in rows of clean cars in car parks and I think that is achieved by an kind of Teflon lacquer paint finish and the fact that I don't drive it through farm yards etc.
When approached by hapless car wash operatives in the supermarket I point at the sky and state that I use the free Eco service :) .
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

peteandnero
80-90 Mem No: 7023

Post by peteandnero »

HansT wrote:Hi Peteandnero,
I spose my mind set is DG wasserboxer - others far more expert will be able to shed some light on the particulars (or idiosycrasies) of your AFN.
Out of interest, how long have you had your van? Being a careful-ish bloke I would check, or have checked, all the things they look at for MOT, plus have brake fluid checked for water contamination. Then replace fuel lines, both ways. Breather pipes on the fuel tank... A bug bear of mine, but the b******s rot from the inside...
Additional, separately wired air horns are a bonus - or a life saver - for motorway driving. The 'Herbie goes to Monte Carlo' 'parp parp' is so sweet... But not at anything like motorway speeds.
H

HansT,

I've had the van for around ten years now. Done a lot of work on her but the AFN engine conversion was a paid job. I have to say that the coolant must be 5 years old now which is probably well past its sell-by! Thats a job for the winter break.
I recently exchanged the headlights on mine for the campervan culture LED ones and they are great but the black or white reaction worries me. The sellers CVC say they are legal, lots say not. The light pattern is good and they pass the MOT but a concern.

Nice to chat,
Pete
1989 Westafalia Joker 1.9 TDI (MVE Conversion)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

They do not check bulbs during an MOT so would pass. To be road legal they would need to be E marked or British Standard marked.

The sellers CVC say they are legal, lots say not. The light pattern is good and they pass the MOT but a concern.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"