Re-trim Interior and Replace Fridge Or Not ?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Moreau-Smith
80-90 Mem No: 15946

Re-trim Interior and Replace Fridge Or Not ?

Post by Moreau-Smith »

Hi All

I may have made a major school boy error, I have just had a total body work restorations carried out on my T25 and just realised that I may replace the entire interior now, my concern is that the original fridge was a three way fridge and the body had been cut to facilitate the extractor vent I cant remember if the fridge actually connects to the vent or is just aligned to it.

My wife would like a new fridge but conscious that it may not align with the existing hole in the panel of the van.

Any thoughts ?

Also what fridge would people recommend to replace the original Electrolux's if I do proceed.

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Re: Re-trim Interior and Replace Fridge Or Not ?

Post by phinw »

The 3-way fridge just aligns with the vent but the gas burner is connected or passes through the panel. Officially there should be a an upper and lower vent, exhaust for the gas burner + a drop vent in the floor in the event of a gas leak. Often there is a just a upper vent + the exhaust. If it been installed well the compartment should sealed against the panel either side to keep the drafts down in the rest of the van.

You can get a new 3-way (now made by Dometic) but many people get a compressor fridge these days and ditch the vents and bodywork holes. You'll need a decent sized leisure battery and ideally a solar panel for a compressor. Bit noisier, probably safer, definitely easier to install.
1988 1.9 DG

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Officially there should be a an upper and lower vent,
"officially" ?
No there shouldnt,
flue out yes
gas drop out yes
as for sealing to body ,well that depends on choice of installation and many other factors
mm :wink:

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

You do NOT need any big holes cut in your van side , other than the flu vent and a drop vent for gas safety
As long as the fridge can take cool air from below and it can exit above .
When I built mine I ensured that there was airflow from below and exit above my interior furniture.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

When I did my interior refit I made the decision not to refit the 3 way fridge and used a 12v/240v Waeco compressor fridge. Best interor upgrade I have ever carried out, no vents required, very low current consumption, freezes in all temperatures, not affected by parking on slopes and frees up interior space. Ours is a top loader which is fully portable, the only downside is they are expensive but worth every penny......
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

‘Officially’ OK, perhaps poor choice of word, but most of the ‘official’ Electrolux / Dometic install guides for absorption fridges recommend a lower and upper vent for them to work with the greatest efficiency. They can struggle when it gets really hot in a hot van. Compressor does seem to be the way forward.
1988 1.9 DG

Moreau-Smith

Post by Moreau-Smith »

My problem is I still have the hole in the side of the van from when it was converted from new, if I had thought about it before the whole van was painted I should have had it welded up, looks like I am stuck with the old fridge and a
custom made cupboards to ensure the fridge stays were it was with the original interior.

If only I had thought about it before bugger.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Is this any use. Don't know anything about them but might be cheaper alternative to electrolux and dometic.
Never used one but hopefully someone on here might have one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Motorh ... B076XD1DM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

By the way, I have two little computer fans ontop of my fridge
Operated by a switch on the front panel
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Although I had decided not to refit the 3 way fridge and get a compressor fridge I left the upper large vent and the smaller flue vent in place in case a future owner would prefer to fit a 3 way type. The two vents were sealed from the inside with plastic sheet and duck tape so easily removed if necessary. I fitted a new vent with clip on cover from Rainbow Conversions so it isn't absolutely essential to seal the vents internally.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Moreau-Smith

Post by Moreau-Smith »

Thanks both for the advice much appreciated, I think I will stay with the original fridge and vent, will make sure I test it first before getting the cupboards.