"Fake" curtains ???

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

"Fake" curtains ???

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

A few years ago I redid the curtains on my 1982 Devon conversion...

It was a pig of a job to get right, with hours of work on the sewing machine and fixing and bending the curtain track, sewing in the band to take the hangers etc etc...

But having installed a full set of working curtains I have found that I rarely - if ever - actually use them..... :shock:

most times when camping we just put the thermo mats up...

I am considering replacing the curtains soon by just putting some "fake" curtains up so they can be fixed in the perfect position for aesthetics ....and save me time and money.

Has anyone else done this and been pleased .....or not ...that they did ????

Thanks

Matt

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: "Fake" curtains ???

Post by Jim San »

We use our curtains frequently but if we didn't, fakes sound like a waste of time, materials and money to me. If something isn't used in our van, it doesn't get taken.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

We don't use ours much now apart from the tailgate one.We took the cab one's out. Once they are rolled up and fastened in place they take up no room at all. It's your van so do what you like but it does seem like a bit of a faff.
David.
the future is unwritten

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks both for your thoughts...

I will ponder on it some more before deciding on what to do

I do like the furnished look that curtains give the van and as its a proper camper conversion (Devon) - and there are some nice retro patterns available -

just didn't fancy all the work that goes into making up a full set of lined curtains for 8 windows that rarely get pulled (bit like me really :D :D :D )

Best

Matt

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

I have no need for curtains now I have sticky thermo blinds, however my wife wants curtains in a hideous design so I'm going to template them off the original ones tack the edges with hem/wonderweb then give to a friend with a sowing machine to run up all the edges and secure the curtain top bit. Not going to line them as they are decorative (dependant on your taste) not functional. So kind of fake curtains.
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

We use our curtains so much we’d really miss them if they weren’t there. Aside from use at night, they get closed for privacy when people are getting changed in the van at the beach, they get closed to keep the van cool on summer days, they get closed to discourage casual thieves from eyeing up stuff in the van, etc, etc.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro