Fridge / leisure battery

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Carrieg
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fridge / leisure battery

Post by Carrieg »

So of all the weekends to pick, we’re taking our van on it’s maiden camping weekend tomorrow.

It’s a chance for a little practise locally before we go further afield - you know, figure out what works gear wise and what we need to change for a proper trip. And find out what’s broken and needs fixing no doubt!

When we bought the van we were told the fridge will either run on gas or the leisure battery.

We’ve not had the onboard gas system safety checked yet, so we don’t want to fill the lpg on this trip.

So we have to rely on the 12v (I think) fridge. Will this likely run all weekend on the leisure battery? Volts are not my forte!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Fridge / leisure battery

Post by AngeloEvs »

Depends on the type of fridge, If it is the normally fitted 3 way Absorption Fridge found in the majority of UK conversions, then these are generally connected to the starter battery via a relay which is only engaged when the ignition is on, the 12V supply is disconnected with ignition off. The reason being that the current required to operate the fridge from the battery would flatten it rather rapidly.

There are alternatives such as Compressor type fridges that have been fitted by owners to replace older 3 way fridges (I think these may also be fitted in some German Conversions i.e, Westfalia). These have a much lower current requirement, most often connected to the leisure battery and can operate for much longer. Exactly how long depends on make, model, ambient air temperature and Battery capacity.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Carrieg

Post by Carrieg »

I have a German Westy so I think I’m in the latter camp

Carrieg

Post by Carrieg »

So I guess there’s only one true way to find out then.....operation practise camp begins today!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Flat battery o’clock coming up !

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

12v is generally used while driving then switch over to gas or 240v when on a site.
If it's working efficiently the fridge will stay cold for a few hours after a good drive.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia