Advice please on my Camper

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25 Newbie
80-90 Mem No: 16655

Advice please on my Camper

Post by T25 Newbie »

HI all

I have a 1988 autohomes conversion that is pretty original.

It has an old Propex unit underneath and a fridge that works on hookup but not gas

I dropped it into Propex as they are fairly local and asked them to check out the heater, they did a full habitation check and condemned the fridge and heater as we had a gas leak when they were turned on (they suspect the fridge)

The hob was OK and the electrics passed but he couldn't find a grounding

They also said the heater was "toast" (their words) and was not serviceable.

So I am £150 poorer and had to remove all the red stickers all over the van LOL.

Where would you go from here? I would like a working fridge and heater but not sure if I can get anything to fit and am not confident to do it myself

Have gas leak fixed on the fridge or forget it and have a compressor fridge and solar panel? But what about the heater can I have the old propex removed and somethin put in its place?

Does anyone recommend someone in the south east that could di this kind of work?

Sorry for rambling

Thanks!
1988 Autohomes Kameo 1.9DG - Vera Wyn

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: Advice please on my Camper

Post by lefty67 »

Hopefully oldiebutgoodie might respond. Think he does webasto heaters.
I've never had a heater in any of my Van's but the current one is well insulated which makes a big difference, my previous one had more ice on the inside sometimes but thermal blinds, winter duvet and a good set of thermal under garments helped.
In the same boat as you regarding fridge. When on hook up we just use one of the electric cool boxes.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

T25 Newbie

Post by T25 Newbie »

Cheers lefty
The heater is more for the missus as we go to a lot of events where I compete with my dogs and there is no hook up so it gives her somewhere to stay warm!

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I would want a more precise evaluation of the gas leak, to 'suspect the fridge' would not be good enough for me without some details of why they come to that conclusion. There are only a few components and joints from the bottle to the fridge gas union, is it the fridge or the connections, etc? An alternative to gas fridge is a 12v compressor fridge but these are expensive.

I have a small gas fire which has a catalytic convertor, use it during cold evenings and also have carbon monoxide alarm with digital display - when in use the CO level is far below that of the gas hob when boiling the kettle. I would not sleep with it on though.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

T25 Newbie

Post by T25 Newbie »

Angelo

I dont suppose you have a link to the type of heater do you?

Thanks!

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Ita a 1.6Kw Rinnai REH-402D which is plumbed into the gas system and, being a flexible hose, allows it to be stowed out of the way. Been in my van for over 12 years so not sure if this particular model is still available.

Imagerennai gas fire by Angelo Evans, on Flickr
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

T25 Newbie

Post by T25 Newbie »

Oh wow haven't seen one of those before
ok thanks!