Underslung water tank - drinking water?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scotttie
80-90 Mem No: 16828

Underslung water tank - drinking water?

Post by scotttie »

Hi all,

Just fitted a new water pump and pipe for the fresh water system in my van. I've removed the underslung water tank to give it a good clean and reinstall. The tank itself is made of black plastic and is a long rectangular shape. I have two questions:

1) Assuming the water tank is quite old, is it likely to be made of a plastic that is suitable for drinking water?
2) I'm going for a 6 month trip in the van and ideally wanted to use the system for drinking water. Does anyone have experience of this? e.g. how long water should be stored before it's not suitable to drink.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Scott

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Underslung water tank - drinking water?

Post by Jeff J »

https://www.thoughtco.com/does-tap-water-go-bad-3975981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Re: Underslung water tank - drinking water?

Post by LeeME3 »

It's personal choice really. I've just bought an underslung water tank from CAK who make a point of saying their tanks are black to inhibit algae growth. I also have an underslung tank on my Bay and I imagine that is as old as the van (1971!). I'm perfectly happy giving it a good clean out each year and occasionally chucking a Milton tablet in it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. But some folk are a bit fussier and only use tank water for washing up / boiling for hot drinks. I'd have thought on a long trip you'll be using a fair bit of water each day and therefore it won't be in there for long anyway.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.