Tow bar bike rack dilema..........Now solved.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cookies craft room
80-90 Mem No: 15241

Tow bar bike rack dilema..........Now solved.

Post by Cookies craft room »

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.
I'm looking for a tow bar bike rack for my autohomes. There is a ladder on the tail which rules out the standard 2 bike bike rack.
Has anyone tried the Thule towbar racks with any success.

Big thanks

Colin

Firstly I have to say a huge thanks to all the replies to my post. They helped immensely.

I ended up getting the Thule Velocompact 925 tow bar bike rack from halfords. It seems that different store members are more helpful than others.

Fits great to a swarm neck tow bar, which also gives clearance for the ladders on my van. Pics and more details to follow.

Thanks again.

Colin
Last edited by Cookies craft room on 03 Nov 2018, 11:08, edited 2 times in total.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Tow bar bike rack dilema

Post by itchyfeet »

yep :ok

Image20170624_100235 by Paul_Barr, on Flickr
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Cookies craft room

Thanks Paul,
Have been looking at the Thule subcompact. But have been told that because of the ladders halfords won't and can't recommend anything.
Also when they put my reg in to their system there is nothing that fits.

Thanks for the help, looks like it would clear the ladders.

Col

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Cookies craft room wrote: halfords won't and can't recommend anything.

Some spotty kid's reccomendation means noting , better off asking you granny.

This is the one I have for 3 bikes, it means you can use 2 bikes and have loads of room between tailgate and bike ( as you can see from my picture) so I can open the tailgate slightly and you will have space for a ladder or even a spare wheel or something else.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rac ... n-3-_-9503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will hinge down to alow the tailgate top open but I didn't like the possibility of the spin on nuts coming loose when driving so I bolted mine permanently.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

I'm guessing your ladder is mounted left or right? In which case, it'll just be a case that the first bike has to go on with the handlebars on the other side, and you'll probably be fine with most towball mounted racks I'd have thought.

I've got a 4-bike Buzzrack from https://www.roofbox.co.uk/ and have been really pleased with it, and gives lots of space if you do need to leave the first bike rack empty. Don't have a photo of it loaded up though, sorry :)

If you're buying on-line, you've also got the 14 day cancellation period, so if you buy one and it doesn't fit, then you've got the right to return it within 14 days. Roofbox for example will charge you around £20 for them to collect it for refund, or they'll swap it for another rack for no return fee.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

Cookies craft room

Hi Tinium,

As you look at the boot the ladder is on the left. Had a look at toolbox and the ones in looking at all seen to be similar construction.
I'm looking at the Thule velocompact 925
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-r ... ompact-925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Probably get it from halfords as they are just around the corner from me. Thule seem to have an offer on at the moment as they are the same price in most shops.
Only looking at the 2 bike version as I'm unsure about driving with the weight on the back.

Big thanks for the help everyone.

Col.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Different style of rack but you could look at max raxx, they do a 4 x 4 version which is designed to fit with rear wheel carrier, good kit, well made and small amount of storage needed when you take it off
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

I have a Thule 2 bike tow bar rack. Went up the the Outer Hebrides from Somerset this year with it and 2 bikes loaded. Absolutely no problem. Would highly recommend
PS they don’t call the Outer Hebrides ‘the windy isles’ for nothing! Bikes and rack stayed solid
84 Caravelle 1.9DG