Sun faded cupboard finishing restoration

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

islandboy
80-90 Mem No: 10711

Sun faded cupboard finishing restoration

Post by islandboy »

Working on cleaning and restoring/repairing rear cupboard from my Autosleeper.
The film faced plywood has faded where the sun has hit it over the years/

Any suggestions on restoring it ? I was thinking of recovering with sticky backed plastic but it won't really match up with the rest of the fittings.

van_cupboard.jpg
van_cupboard.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
1987 DG 1900 petrol plus Yamaha Midnight Star and Yamaha Virago and !979 Vespa P125X

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Re: Sun faded cupboard finishing restoration

Post by lodgey62 »

Hi,l used a cloth with a bit of saddolin mahogany wood stain on and gave all the woodwork/sticky back plastic a rub over,you can vary the depth of colour by adding or reducing the amount of stain you leave on the surface,it's fresheners it all and can be reapplied to areas that wear like the bed base supports.
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I tried self adhesive vinyl as a temporary fix but it shrank, bubbled and started to peel away where the sections were exposed to sunlight, didn't last for even one summer! Vinyl, cheap to try but better off staining as suggested if your kitchen units use wood veneer, If they use plastic veneer then staining will not work as well.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

lodgey62 wrote:Hi,l used a cloth with a bit of saddolin mahogany wood stain on and gave all the woodwork/sticky back plastic a rub over,you can vary the depth of colour by adding or reducing the amount of stain you leave on the surface,it's fresheners it all and can be reapplied to areas that wear like the bed base supports.

I will try that on a discreet area of the plastic, thanks. All the wood I am going to sand, stain and matt varnish
1987 DG 1900 petrol plus Yamaha Midnight Star and Yamaha Virago and !979 Vespa P125X

Nathanb
80-90 Mem No: 13831

Post by Nathanb »

islandboy wrote: I will try that on a discreet area of the plastic, thanks. All the wood I am going to sand, stain and matt varnish

I'd be interested to see the results once you've had a go, as I have similar sun fade on my unit.
VW T25 Autosleeper Trident 1991 - 1.9 DG Petrol 5 Speed

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

^ Me too.

It's apparently "Light European Oak" according to Autosleeper. I bought three rolls of vinyl from different suppliers but none of them matched either grain or colour.
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

Used Blackfriar's Rosewood wood stain.
Wood trim came up lovely. Colour slightly improved on vinyl but it isn't really porous to absorb the stain.

What do you think ? Before and after pics.
van_cupboard.jpg
van_cupboard.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

cupboard_2.jpg
cupboard_2.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Any form of stain, on it's own or contained in paint, will only sit on the surface 'cos the vinyl is not porous. Paints, and stains, need to penetrate to a certain extent. If the vinyl is faded it's faded. I had the same problem and found that after lots of experimenting and time the only answer was to remove and recover. The difficult part was cutting the vinyl to size so that there were no gaps between it and the timber lipping. I did consider removing the timber trim at one point but as it's glued and pinned it was not going to come off whole and I had not got time to make more.
If you do recover, remove existing vinyl, hot air gun helps, clean off the old adhesive (white spirit) sand down and give 2 coats of polyurethane, first one thinned, 25% white spirit. The paint will enable you to lift and adjust the 'sticky backed' plastic. Buy quality vinyl.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

islandboy

Post by islandboy »

Decided that the fading adds to the ageing beauty of the van, adds provenance and not going to mess about with it anymore.