Pop top not closing properly

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Pop top not closing properly

Post by tforturton »

I've got an issue with my Westie pop-top roof, in that one of the rear corners isn't quite sitting flush with the roof.
The roof was retro-fitted some time back, and at the time, the roof closed perfectly. But in recent weeks/months, I've noticed that the rear near-side corner doesn't quite close properly.
Everything else lines up and closes perfectly - it's just this one rear corner. I've tried pressing it down, and even standing on it, but there's no change. Any ideas?
To be honest, it's no big deal as it is (we're talking maybe an inch or two), but I want to fit those rack-rack brackets that attach to the roof and rest in the gutter, and I don't want to fit them, and then have the roof shift.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Re: Pop top not closing properly

Post by Timwhy »

When you say retro fitted does this mean new hardware to replace old?

I had a similar situation with my pop top not closing correctly after I replaced the bolts of the pop top to hinge with SS ones. They were just a little bit longer than the originals and that made the top bow out and not close flush at the corner.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Pop top not closing properly

Post by captain Byrne »

Some pictures would help?
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.