ROOF PAINTING/AUTO SLEEPER BUNK LADDER,

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ROBSEA
80-90 Mem No: 15161

ROOF PAINTING/AUTO SLEEPER BUNK LADDER,

Post by ROBSEA »

Please help !!! Recently purchased our first van and am seeking some advice from experienced campervan owners. The roof on our 1990 hi top auto sleeper van is painted black and is flaking badly and is in need of a makeover, can anyone give advice tips/hints and paint suggestions to use on this fibreglass roof ? Also this van is missing its bunk ladder ,where can I obtain measurements and dimensions for an autosleeper bunk ladder or can anyone suggest where one can be purchased ? We live in kent and can anyone recommend a campervan handyman who can visit,help or advise on basic things i.e sliding door lock.high top roof seal.minor water leaks etc.Th?at can be contacted ? many thanks.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: ROOF PAINTING/AUTO SLEEPER BUNK LADDER,

Post by a1winchester »

For local advice, contact New Kentish Campers. Often post on here.
Black painted roof sounds a bit mad. Possibly covering something more serious. If it was me I'd strip the black off to investigate, repair any cracks, then repaint with the original colour (or your preferred) pastel white. It will need undercoat to cover any remaining black.

Regarding the ladder thing, it's NOT a ladder, just something to stop junk falling off the top storage area, so you can probably just make it from measurements taken from the van. Glued dowel joints for the rungs will be ok. There are simple cupboard bolts at the ends to locate it - same as the rear seat back.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

What colour is the camper?
'Sleepers usually have white roofs
Flat it down and use a grp primer then normal two pack pastel white (VW paint code L90D)

Not a ladder as said.
To get up to the bed use the worktop.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

if its flaking, try getting a commercial /heavy duty hot pressure wash on the roof, if your lucky it might come off in the wash.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe