Fridge Repair

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ian8777
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fridge Repair

Post by ian8777 »

Hi there

The fridge in my VW T25 Komet is broken.....

Any recommendations for anyone in the North Wales/West area that does repairs?

Many thanks

Ian

T25_steveo
80-90 Mem No: 15670

Re: Fridge Repair

Post by T25_steveo »

What mode fridge is it mate and what's the fault?

Chasey

Post by Chasey »

Hi I’m the same bought a T25 Autosleeper Trident and sadly the Fridge was shown to work on gas as the pilot light lit first time but unfortunately it doesn’t cool the fridge.

I’ve taken it to Blake’s Autos in Blackpool for some work in the past but he has turned it and turned it, the heating elements are getting hot on the 3 way RM212 which hasn’t been used in years but not cooling the fridge.

Are there any recommendations of places to take it near Preston? as would like to see if it can be serviced/repaired before swapping out.

Many thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Any caravan shop can service a three way fridge .

If it is not working on any form of power at all, you can try the turning it over ritual ! 
 Inside is not gas , but ammonia based coolant, which crystallises if allowed to dry on any surface, so if the fridge hasn't been used for a while , and therefore no circulation , the crystals build up , eventually blocking the smaller pipes....so turning the fridge upside down, leaving it for a couple of hours, and then righting it for a couple of hours and doing this two or three ( or more) times, flushes the coolant through, and it washes the crystals back into the coolant, and they dissolve . 

If it is working on mains , but not on gas, chances are the flu is blocked, or the jet is blocked, or partially blocked . 
 If it's working on gas, but not on either one, or both of the electric sources, it's an element issue , providing you are sure it is actually getting power to the element 

It is also important to remember that a flame only ever burns vertically in a drought free environment, so the fridge must be within a couple of degrees of level for the flame to "hit the mark" , this however will not have much effect on electric only gas

12v feed should be fused to the relay from the main battery 
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Circuit ... Sw4UtWRMVM

If it’s not working on gas , but is lighting , you need to clean the burner assy 
 Turn the fridge upside down, undo the burner retaining screw from the bottom of the chimney heat shield and disconnect the gas pipe , blow high pressure compressed air through the jet ( never "proggle" with anything , of you make the hole in the jet anything other than perfectly round the gas won’t squirt in the right place ) you can force WD40 or similar through it with airline 
 You need a big blue flame the full size of the burner mesh when you reassemble it 

Mains  and 12v are simply 120w ( depending on model) heating elements and are easy to change .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Chasey

Post by Chasey »

Many thanks we’ve tried the upside down and turn around but no luck so will take it for a service repair and hopefully they can sort the issue.

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
Perhaps I can add a bit of information.
I recently had my fridge out for a clean/service, turn upside down and shake it all about, etc.

1. I park at home on a slope. The fridge (Dometic RM212) won't work on gas or mains in that situation.

2. The adjustable thermostat is only for the mains supply. If on battery it's direct and continuous.

3. If your problem is electric, having checked that there are the correct voltages at the terminals for the elements, you need to check the resistance of the elements. The 12VDC one should measure about 1.5 ohms. The 230VAC one about 500 ohms. Unfortunately the average DIY meter won't measure these low values, so you'll need the help of a friendly electrician with his multitester (or whatever he uses). Also check them for insulation to earth. Anything over 1 Mohm is fine.
There should be 230VAC  on both connections of the thermostat. Turn it towards 0 and back to confirm that the contacts work ok.

Cheers!
Pete

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

Hi all
One extra thing I,d like to add. My gas would not light after doing the upside down thing. After hours of head and chin scratching noticed that the thin copper tube running from the back of ignition system ( push to create spark) had been flattened. This tube ,from memory, is a by pass of the thermostat cut off switch ( allowing gas to get to burner before heating up thermostat/knock off system ) .
Very gentley with a set of pliers I pinched the circular tube ( now square in small area) gas lit on first try after.
Probably kinked tiny tube when turning it .
Good luck
Peter
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop