Awnings...wind out or drive-away?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Awnings...wind out or drive-away?

Post by weegaz22 »

Hi guys, been looking at picking up and 2nd hand awning, now the one thing i cant really decide on is if i should get an wind-out/pull-out awning like an ARB or Fiamma F45 style that is bolted onto the gutter or whether i should go for something that is more like a tent/drive-away style, I can see some obvious advantages and disadvantages to both, but was just wondering if anyone on here has had both and which they prefer? and why?, I'm sure there are pros and cons to both that I'm not even considering and would like to hear from the experienced mass that is the 80-90 club :mrgreen:

Its a multivan westy pop top i have, incase that makes any difference
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Awnings...wind out or drive-away?

Post by kevtherev »

If you don't need to store owt or sleep anyone, then get a bag awning
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Post by weegaz22 »

kevtherev wrote:If you don't need to store owt or sleep anyone, then get a bag awning

well i have a westy pop top, so I can technically sleep 4, but i don't know how "weather proof" my poptop canvas is yet, i have cleaned it and covered it in fabsil gold but haven't "tested it" yet, most of the time the van will be getting used will be myself the GF and a 3 year old, either that or away for a weekend with a few mates in tow
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

We have got an old canvas drive away awning, its great as you can mark your spot at campsites, its sturdy enough to hang wet things up to dry when the weather is rough and seems to be able to withstand anything nature can throw at it. A couple of times we have awoken in the morning to find it is the last one still standing. Might be heavy and old fashioned but so is our van and increasingly me. And unlike the pull out awnings I can leave the weight in the garage when not needed.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Post by Karen&co »

We have an old canvas freestanding one too, withstood a mahoosive storm the first night we used it, as NicBeeee said not light but lives in the loft when we're not going to use it so saves on weight :)
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

As said, they both have advantages, its up to you as to which one suits you best.

The cheaper option is the DA awning. I'd go with that first and if you find your really missing the benefits of a wind out (or similar) then you havn't shelled out unnecessarily.

Or, you'll be like me and have both :?
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

We have both too as they have different purposes.
The roll out is on the van all the time so can't be forgotten. It is easy and quick to put up and take down, even by one person. It doesn't take up storage space in the van. It doesn't shut us off from the world when we are camping in a group. We have sides and a front if we need more protection from the elements.
The drive away we have is modern one, so in a fairly neat bag. It was cheapish (£120 new, I think). Takes 2 and a bit of bickering :roll: to put it up. It offers full protection from the elements. It keeps the dogs contained. It can be kipped in. The loo can go outside. It will mind all your stuff if you go out for the day. It takes up valuable space in the van when travelling. It can make you feel antisocial if camping in a group but gives privacy if camping alone.

Personally we use the roll out much more than the drive away.
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

manxblade
80-90 Mem No: 12707

Post by manxblade »

We have had this dilemma as well and bought a drive away. two years later bought a arb awning from cvc and this is what we use the most as I think it's better for weekend camping but would still use the drive away for a week or more away hope this helps you decide.

Karen&co
80-90 Mem No: 14854

Post by Karen&co »

Karen&co wrote:We have an old canvas freestanding one too, withstood a mahoosive storm the first night we used it, as NicBeeee said not light but lives in the loft when we're not going to use it so saves on weight :)

I meant to say ours came free with the van, so didn't make an informed choice, but am reading these posts with interest as a smaller lightweight easy pop up type would be simple for overnights and weekends :)
If you think you can or you think you can't either way you'll be right

1.9 petrol Leisure Drive

slippy8v
80-90 Mem No: 8868

Post by slippy8v »

we have both a Fiamma F45 and a Outwell country road, Fiamma for short stays and the Outwell for our main holidays, both work very well and we can pull the Outwell joining section up over the Fiamma giving a good seal,fitted a bungie cord and hooks down through the pole connector part of the awning than hooks on to the Fiamma mounting brackets, perfect.

1967 RHD WALKTHROUGH SPLITSCREEN
1971 RHD BAY
1993 MK1 GTI CABBY RIVAGE
1989 T25 KOMET
1991 T25 SYNCRO PANEL VAN

craigy345
80-90 Mem No: 13029

Post by craigy345 »

Hi,

I currently have a F45i Fiamma awning, which I think is great.
But looking at a full drive-away awning as well, probably a Khyam? as they pop up nice and easy = less arguments or getting wet!!

My questions... which may help you decide?

1. Has anyone used both together? i.e attached the drive-away to the fiamma style whilst it rolled out? how does this work?

2. Which Khyam do people suggest? seems to be a few, motordome/sleeper/etc... what best?

Cheers people.
VW T25 1.6TD (JX) 1987 Westfalia Club Joker

tyneside-t25
80-90 Mem No: 15074

Post by tyneside-t25 »

we bought a quest elite instant pop-up awning,it's erected in 2 mins as all the poles are attatched,then takes 5 mins to peg out,(video on you-tube)ideal for the 2 of us to keep chairs in ,,,, and porta-potti ,,,, AND at £140.00 brand new does us just fine.
1985 hi-top 1.6d.

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Buy a twin slider you can use both.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
2.1 Twin slider