Westfalia California

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fozziebear
80-90 Mem No: 0

Westfalia California

Post by Fozziebear »

I am still thinking about if i should take the plunge and go for one of these been doing a lot of reading up on them and using this site which has helped a lot.
What do people with them think i should do i't's a big investment so just want to make the right decision.

Also just another question i can't seem to find a definite answer on is how many people can you legally seat when driving in a California? is it 2 in the front and 2 in the rear as as i have seen some with the 'buddy' seat can you get a seat belt for this or get 3 belts for the rear seat?

Thanks

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Westfalia California

Post by California Dreamin »

Fozziebear wrote:I am still thinking about if i should take the plunge and go for one of these been doing a lot of reading up on them and using this site which has helped a lot.
What do people with them think i should do i't's a big investment so just want to make the right decision.

Also just another question i can't seem to find a definite answer on is how many people can you legally seat when driving in a California? is it 2 in the front and 2 in the rear as as i have seen some with the 'buddy' seat can you get a seat belt for this or get 3 belts for the rear seat?

Thanks

First question is a can of worms...as a California owner I am going to say that 'because' they were the 'official' factory camper converters, anything Westfalia is going to command a premium price, but at the same time it is always going to hold that 'premium price' position in the market.
That's not to cast an aspersions on any of the other fine conversions of this model.
Are they worth that premium price...not really, but you can be reasonably confident when paying the extra money, that it will hold it's value..(unless you stuff it into a wall or your judgement is so bad you pay 10K for a 4K rust bucket)
The word 'investment' is debatable, because the upkeep on these things can be considerable, however, kept in good nick you are always going to better your initial outlay, just that you are going to loose what you have spent keeping it that way.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

The number of people you can legally seat should be listed on your V5C.

In terms of seatbelts, if the seats in the back have lap belts then I believe you can continue using them, but seatbelts in the front need to be three point belts, and any belts that you replace or add back if the lapbelts have been removed in the past, also need to be three point belts.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Fozziebear wrote:I am still thinking about if i should take the plunge and go for one of these been doing a lot of reading up on them and using this site which has helped a lot.

Thanks

Question that you need to answer is....do you want one...thats about all there is to it. You wont get a balanced view on a t25 forum....not many people will tell you that they are a pile of worthless junk to be avoided....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

California Dreamin

keith wrote:[ You wont get a balanced view on a t25 forum....not many people will tell you that they are a pile of worthless junk to be avoided....

Maybe the odd one lol....Westy envy.........................................................................................................................................................(pin out, hand grenade in, now run..... :rofl

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

California Dreamin

Oh..and this might be a deal breaker...you can't make toast in a westy.......................................................................said it before someone else did. :shock:

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Fozziebear

Post by Fozziebear »

Yes I understand it may be a bias opinion on here but I just want some advice on why people still own them or why they bought them in the 1st place I like the idea of just getting in one with my family and making up your own holiday!

keith

Post by keith »

Fozziebear wrote:Yes I understand it may be a bias opinion on here but I just want some advice on why people still own them or why they bought them in the 1st place I like the idea of just getting in one with my family and making up your own holiday!

Exactly that.
Weekends away
Day parked next to a lake with a brew
Vw meets
Friends with interests
Tinkering
Simplicity
No loss of value over time
Quirky
And loads more

We liked camping in tents.....but didnt like the tent bit
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith

Post by keith »

Buy a good one though....bad ones are money pits
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Thefamegame

Post by Thefamegame »

To give a bit of perspective they can be a pain if you don't learn how to maintain them yourself, my van is in for a respray and it's been a miserable summer so far. I miss it every weekend- intact i miss sitting in it on the drive to chill with a book.
ej20 powered pre-runner

California Dreamin

I would second Keith's comment....unless you can do 'most' of the maintenance and repairs, then T25 ownership can be an expensive game and you should be looking at something newer.
Keith and myself have had our Westy's a fair few years..I've certainly no regrets, the positive aspects of ownership far out-weight the negatives but don't go into this blind, be prepared to spend time and money initially to get things reliable and safe, then 'Drive baby, Drive!!! :ok

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Thefamegame

Post by Thefamegame »

Looks a nice Cali on Facebook for £10k :)
ej20 powered pre-runner