california or trooper

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: california or trooper

Post by dbz864 »

Jeff J wrote:
dbz864 wrote: autosleepers have by far the worst bodies, don't really know why, but they just they have.
Not true in our case!! :shock:

You must be very lucky if you vans good and in original paint. Or ive been very unlucky. :ok
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

mark wrote:mine has a couple of 5p sized bubbles on the side windows and the same on the front and back windscreens, its never been welded or painted, the earlier ones seem to suffer from the fridge panel and water inlet panel being rusty...dbz if you come across a mint trooper or holdsworth still wearing its factory paint I would be interested in having a butchers

mark

Jeff J wrote:
dbz864 wrote: autosleepers have by far the worst bodies, don't really know why, but they just they have.
Not true in our case!! :shock:
They also rot very bad under the roof, hook up socket, fridge vent, floor under fridge vent, around the windows, Where A/S cut things out ie hook up socket they just daubed bit of black hamerite on the bare metal missing most of it. Look at autohomes, holdsworths around the windows you rarely see rot. Ive looked behind the panels and trim in all the main convertors vans (many of them), have you seen the way the hole in the roof is finished by the "tradesmen" in a/s and the way they fit the water filler?
Mark ive never seen what I would call a mint T25 van yet, but if I do il let you know.Adam
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

:lol: adam..... I see beauty, you are looking for a profit.........somewhere in the middle would be ok :wink:

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Westie pop tops (including the standard, Atlantic and California) look cool and provide the most sleeping space for families (or a couple after an argument). I haven't seen a high top of any conversion that is not claustrophobic up top. So it depends upon what you need.
If you are desperate for a cheese toastie Mark, drop into a pub. If you want toast just dry cook the bread in a frying pan - job done. :)

mark

Post by mark »

I will have the boffins at tefal working on a 12v toaster, until then I will purchase a toasting fork (sounds suspiciously like I'm off to a look at a van with the steering wheel on the wrong side) and make toast from the (un)comfort of my Germanic bed :D

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

mark wrote:I will have the boffins at tefal working on a 12v toaster, until then I will purchase a toasting fork (sounds suspiciously like I'm off to a look at a van with the steering wheel on the wrong side) and make toast from the (un)comfort of my Germanic bed :D

mark
Splitter!!
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

mark

Post by mark »

:rofl I haven't had a look at it yet, it may well be too austere for me, but its the only one the boss likes so far and as she believes that the roof bed in the trident was specifically designed for a lady of 5'10 to get a perfect nights sleep she thinks the westie poptop will be like a night in a hotel.......... I will have to struggle on the rock'n'roll bed again.......but I am a martyr to the cause :lol:

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

mark

Post by mark »

this week ive had a look at a couple of westie's,I was meant to look at another today but number one son is gracing us with his presence for lunch so had to cancel the third. well I'm not convinced that they are the future but I suppose its like anything if id seen the right one it would be parked outside now, why sellers have no pics of re-spray work means ive probably passed on a couple of nice vans but didn't fancy traveling to look at a quick blow over. the two vans that I have seen I would price at about 7k with the owners asking near 10k..........changing the roof is still an option but why wont the sellers send me pics???? I think ''cant post pics on ere'' translates as ''I cant be arsed to take any pics''. today I will give mine a wash take some pics and put it up for sale to see if there is any interest in it

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

mark

Post by mark »

today I waved goodbye to my van and hope that it carries on long into the future, gutted is not the word....the search is now on for summat new.....ill keep this going as a blog of the journey for something new....unless the mods have an issue with me doing it here

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

mark wrote:today I waved goodbye to my van and hope that it carries on long into the future, gutted is not the word....the search is now on for summat new.....ill keep this going as a blog of the journey for something new....unless the mods have an issue with me doing it here

mark
Is this another greener grass story?

It'll end in remorse, confessions and ultimately blame.
I can't bear to watch

mark

Post by mark »

no not greener grass, I doubt very much I will get a better van and with nowhere to keep it at the new home something with less stature is required, regret certainly....blame.... only myself......confessions...... I will leave with the good reverend next time we break bread and wine

mark

kevtherev wrote: Is this another greener grass story?

It'll end in remorse, confessions and ultimately blame.
I can't bear to watch
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

I think the best thing you can do now is take your time and actually approach people at shows or events and ask some owners of conversions you are considering how they get on with them. The right people will be enthusiastic and probably demostrate how things work for them regarding the living space and sleeping arrangments. I don't always think that these sort of forums are the best place to ask this sort of advice because you are going to get those that try with the best will in the world to verbalize their reasons for having a particular type of conversion, and those that just want to try and undermine what they have said because they have another type. Quite often your left with a thread that becomes a slanging match about whos vans are best. I have a Westy and like it. If I had made a decision 18 months ago to buy a Holdsworth, Autosleeper etc I would quite probably have the same opinion about those. Not very helpful I know. Good luck in your search chap :D
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

mark

Post by mark »

cheers mr Nordberg
with today being a rest day I went to have a look at freak bus that someone at work told me about and arranged the visit for me ....bought new in hull and owned by one family since, originally purchased by the farther and shared by 2 brothers, both aero engineers at brough, original mileage a touch over 80000,it still bares the original supplier on the number plate, it should really be in museum, all the cupboards are full of period camping items...it has four awnings of differing styles but the factory supplied one is there....it is a prototype but I left an offer

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

mark

Post by mark »

well the freak bus was offered to me for 30k, I decline the offer and moved on...have seen some shiny rusty vans, blow over vans and most have more miles on them than a space shuttle, I have begun negotiations with a couple in bodmin for an overpriced van that my mrs likes, it will go down like a lead balloon round these parts

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

mark wrote:well the freak bus was offered to me for 30k, I decline the offer and moved on...have seen some shiny rusty vans, blow over vans and most have more miles on them than a space shuttle, I have begun negotiations with a couple in bodmin for an overpriced van that my mrs likes, it will go down like a lead balloon round these parts

mark
I've seen lead balloons fly.
Whatisit?