Secondary Battery

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlandAnn
80-90 Mem No: 0

Secondary Battery

Post by AlandAnn »

Can anyone tell me how easy and how to fit a secondary battery to my beloved t25 ?

As far as my knowledge I reckon all I need is a battery (12 v ) and a relay direct from the main battery.

Tia
Living in Kilmarnock, proud owner of a vw t25 with a PETROL ENGINE .

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Re: Secondary Battery

Post by JonB »

I used the info in the Wiki, discusses the various options and how to do it.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

Blimey that took some looking for.

All under Campers/Electrical. There's a page on battery dimensions and types of split charger.

I used option 4 from this page and had no problems.
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... it_charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I got the Brickwerks split charger. Doddle
Honorary "Dave" 

Ruralman

Post by Ruralman »

A split charge kit is the way to go :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261599613436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
Keith
1982 2.0 Petrol T25 Hightop "Sergy"

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I do have a separate leisure battery and all that goes with it but I run two starter batteries with the positives linked with heavy grade cable and an isolation switch in each earth cable. This sounds nuts but by having only one isolator key to hand I am guaranteed never to suffer stranding with a flat battery due to a fault or inadvertently leaving something on. I can retrieve the second isolator key if both batteries should somehow get low. I also have a 12 Volt siren wired between the positive link and earth so that unless I want to leave the lights on for instance I can remove the isolator key thus rendering the van more thief proof. Even putting turning on the ignition with the isolator key out sets the siren howling away. The whole system is jump lead proof. It catches me out sometimes by sounding off when I forget in the most awkward situations but is well worth the peace of mind. I also have the ability to switch across to the leisure battery if that somehow gets flat. After reading on the forum about the number of T25's getting nicked I also fitted covert dead locks to every door.
Cheers
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

AlandAnn

Post by AlandAnn »

Mate, No offence but I wish I understood everything you said! You don't fancy a wee trip up north do ye ? Thanks for the idea's.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Sorry I should have said the siren is connected across the battery isolation switch i.e. battery negative to van earth - what a plonker! I guess I should get round to working out how to attach images. :roll: Maybe that is a good cue for a new years resolution. A picture can replace a thousand words.
Cheers
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Emma&Al
80-90 Mem No: 14493

Post by Emma&Al »

Interesting post as this is what Im going to do next and have very little knowledge apart from what the kind people on here imparted with me :)

So in order to do this you just physically need a leisure battery and a split charge kit? Is that right?
1990 2.1 petrol injected Caravelle

AlandAnn

Post by AlandAnn »

You have to make sure your battery is strapped securely so it won't fall over, and correctly earthed. I'm waiting till closer to Easter and decent weather before I crack this one.

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

AlandAnn wrote:You have to make sure your battery is strapped securely so it won't fall over, and correctly earthed. I'm waiting till closer to Easter and decent weather before I crack this one.
Oh, and if the battery is lead acid it has to be vented to the outside of the van so that none of the nasty gasses produced by the charging get into the living compartment (so I am told :roll: )
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If you mostly use hookup, a regular starter-type battery used as a leisure is perfectly adequate ( idid that for years). If you run off-grid a great deal and maybe have a propex heater, then you ideally want a whopping leisure battery. I now have a truck-style 220ah one. A simple 40amp relay will be fine as a split charger if you don't want to spend a lot.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Emma&Al wrote:
So in order to do this you just physically need a leisure battery and a split charge kit? Is that right?
More or less yes.
As described in the wiki with diagrams, 50* amp standard 12V relay and some nice thick copper cable** that will go from the relay to the battery.

*no less
**6 - 8mm diameter
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

AlandAnn

Post by AlandAnn »

I'd guess any jump start cable would be fine? I'm also going to go for as big a battery as possible.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

110 is enough.
You can get 240 amp hour.. Trojan batteries, now we're talkin leisure batteries!
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)