Reversing a Westfalia interior?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Reversing a Westfalia interior?

Post by tforturton »

Here's a question. Not something I was planning to do, more like a theoretical question. Has anyone ever fitted an original LHD Westfalia interior to a RHD vehicle? Looking at pictures, I can see that there are only a couple of unit panels that would need reversing - the side of the middle unit, and the side of the wardrobe - so it shouldn't be that hard to do. Or am I missing something?
Also, on a Westfalia camper, is the suspension set up to counteract the weight of the units? So if you took it all out, the bus would sit slightly higher on that side?
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Reversing a Westfalia interior?

Post by clift_d »

The suspension is symmetrical so no worries there. However, I'm not so sure whether reversing the interior is so straightforward - I would have thought all the units would need completely remaking. For example the wardrobe front is machined to fit that side of the van so that would need to be reversed, the handing of the doors would be wrong, any shelves would be the wrong shape for the other side, etc, etc. And the same sort of issues would probably apply to almost every other bit of furniture.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

If you just swap the 'face' of the cupboard onto the other side then the outside would then be on the inside..
Guy on brickyard (youthlygiblets maybe?) made his own Westy interior for rhd, looks REALLY good
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

What about all the screw holes that are hidden inside? They would then be outside...

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Much easier to remake and iron out some of the design issues that exist. Especially with the wardrobe. All simple panel construction , cnc these days but could be done readily without access to that sort of level of kit.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I do like the sliding wardrobe door mod (found it on the samba), looks far more sensible then the original.