Awning connection options

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tobias13
80-90 Mem No: 14723

Awning connection options

Post by Tobias13 »

Hey all,

Just returned from 4 nights away and our little stand alone day tent all but blew away, big holes in the side and all sorts ripped off it.

Anyway, ever the optimist I now get to get a new one! :wink:

So, I've pretty much decided on the vango sappera II, and it comes with various attachment options, just wondering what your thoughts/experiences are with commenting to a van. I've have only ever used a kador onto a fiamma type wind out which I do not have!!

Thanks

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-a ... wning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T25 holdsworth high top, 1.9dg LPG!!

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Re: Awning connection options

Post by dumbo »

hi i got one its big and strong very good in the wind you will need a couple of awning channels ie figure of 8 and kampa 6mm to 6mm strip and a c- profile rail
well thats what i got.... :roll: its the belt and braces approach and its more money now :ok
simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

Tobias13

Post by Tobias13 »

Cheers pal!!

How did u fix the c rail to the van?

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Consensus of opinion (on previous threads) is that pole and clamp is the best attachment system. The Sapira has a sleeve in the flap for the pole. You can get a pole kit from Vango, although their clips look a bit 'iffy' in the pics. 2.5m poles are available from other awning suppliers.
I have figure of 8 keder strip at the moment, and it has pulled the gutter edge strip off. My van is in having a re-spray at the moment. I DEFINITELY won't be using fig. of 8 on the newly painted van!
I have the Vango Kela awning, which is like the Sapera, but one hoop less. The airbeam system is really good, and I can get it up in no time! (Oooer missus!)
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

With the pole and clamp you can roll the surplus awning around the pole taking up the slack making a tight awning without having to park mm perfect.
2.1 Twin slider

Tobias13

Post by Tobias13 »

Haha, you are a stallion baby!! Question is how long does it stay up

Back to the awning, thanks for the advice, I'll call the stores tomorrow and see what they got!! L

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

silicone and rivets its still the best way ....then you have 2x straps each side to go over or around the van as well... pole and clamp is ok but because my roof the gutters are not that deep and the pole keeps coming off so done it this way :?: its up to you if your sending all that money in one go see if you can get the bits cheaper at the same time then you have them :ok
simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

dumbo wrote: pole and clamp is ok but because my roof the gutters are not that deep and the pole keeps coming off

Use a smaller pole ie fiberglass pole like on modern tents, then it can't come out.
2.1 Twin slider

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

Tobias13 wrote:Haha, you are a stallion baby!! Question is how long does it stay up

In the words of one L. Ritchie, " All Night Long! " :rofl

Tobias13

Post by Tobias13 »

They have a tall model on offer which is 250 cheaper! But is for van connections that stares at 230cm!

Now, I have a high top so wondering if I could rely on the straps and throw over the roof!!

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

Tobias13 wrote:They have a tall model on offer which is 250 cheaper! But is for van connections that stares at 230cm!

Now, I have a high top so wondering if I could rely on the straps and throw over the roof!!
I tried using the straps over my high top with my standard height awning, and it didn't work too well. So maybe it would be better with the higher awning. Not sure where the rainwater is going to drain to though. :?:

Tobias13

Post by Tobias13 »

Find out tomorrow, it's just arrived!!

Failing my that I'll attach a c rail to the high top!!

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Just a little heads upon these inflatable awnings. We had a stall working next to a company that sells these at VW show last year. The bloke working on it slept inside the awnings at night and It rained in the night. The next morning when we woke up early we watched them frantically running around emptying all of the water out of them before cutovers started to arrive.

Just thought I would pass this info on. They were quite drunk so don't know if they had not set them up correctly, who knows.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

jed the spread wrote:Just a little heads upon these inflatable awnings. We had a stall working next to a company that sells these at VW show last year. The bloke working on it slept inside the awnings at night and It rained in the night. The next morning when we woke up early we watched them frantically running around emptying all of the water out of them before cutovers started to arrive.

Just thought I would pass this info on. They were quite drunk so don't know if they had not set them up correctly, who knows.

Jed

I think I know the reason....
There is an inner mesh fly screen in the door which needs to be fully zipped up for the outer tent to retain it's shape, and shed rain water. If it isn't zipped up, the bottom edge of the door canvas is all floppy, and water can get in. As there is a sewn in ground sheet, you end up with quite a tidy paddling pool!
I guess my main criticism of the Vango airbeam range of tents is the number of zips there are (and having to make sure you don't trap the canvas in them). But on the other hand, the door / window options are very versatile.

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

Tobias13 wrote:Find out tomorrow, it's just arrived!!

Failing my that I'll attach a c rail to the high top!!
Thats what I did on my Autosleeper, be aware there are different size C rails & kador strips, for the c rail I fitted I needed an 8mm x 6mm one. Personally I think it is superior to the pole & clamp on a high top.