Lift assit Jack Bombay

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Lift assit Jack Bombay

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Has anyone fitted a stronger version than the HD rams that come in the kit?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Re: Lift assit Jack Bombay

Post by PetenAli »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:Has anyone fitted a stronger version than the HD rams that come in the kit?

Hi Tom. We have the HD ones and have found that they significantly help to lift our roof when the roof box is on. This includes both when the roof box is full and when it is just on and empty (as it often is on short trips through the summer).

We also have the light duty struts that JB supplies for use just with the roof and no extra weight. They are excellent and really make it easy to raise and lower the roof in normal circumstances.

All of this probably isn't much help to you given your question... :oops: I didn't know you could get stronger struts so will follow this with interest.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

Hi Pete,

Yes, I already have the HD version. Roof box and kayak is hard to lift. I'm hoping I can fit a slightly heavier duty version. But I don't want to damage the roof. Failing that I'll leave something at home or try and move the load further back.

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

I certainly think that when our roof box is at full capacity I wouldn't want to add much more weight as I'm not sure how much our retro fitted Westy roof would manage. We have the roof box to one side in order to be able to get into it and even with the HD struts I can feel the roof twisting slightly if I am not careful when opening it. Thats with it positioned as far back as I can get it. I also try to pack it with heavier items towards the back. I guess putting a kayak on the other side would even the weight distribution up at least.

Is there any guidance anywhere about how much weight the roof is designed to take?

Syncronaut #171

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I'm just starting looking at this now, need to get two kayaks up there....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

lloydy wrote:I'm just starting looking at this now, need to get two kayaks up there....

How are you thinkng about getting two kayaks up there with your roof box lloydy? One on top of the other or take the roof box off? Is there room if you can fix the kayaks on their sides?

E D I T: Just seen your "getting there" thread so now have all the answers!

Syncronaut #171

ninja.turtle007

I have been emailing Mark - Jack Bombay. He has said people have been using 150lb struts with no problems he is aware of. These are 30lb's stronger than the heavy duty version. These cost about £8 each in USA but here they cost £21 each. I don't have time to wait so I will be ordering them today from a UK company. I'll report back once I have them.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

PetenAli wrote:
lloydy wrote:I'm just starting looking at this now, need to get two kayaks up there....

How are you thinkng about getting two kayaks up there with your roof box lloydy? One on top of the other or take the roof box off? Is there room if you can fix the kayaks on their sides?

E D I T: Just seen your "getting there" thread so now have all the answers!
i reckon you could get it all on at once, would be pretty packed and heavy though... so not for me this trip.. just putting some pics up on the thread of the bars I'm using
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ninja.turtle007

New struts fitted. I can now lift the roof relatively easily. :ok

On the roof there is a 150w rigid solar panel, kayak and long roof box weighing about 25-30kgs.

This is what I bought. http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gs8-18-210-260

I chose to have them made to 668N which is 30lb stronger than the heavy duty version.

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:New struts fitted. I can now lift the roof relatively easily. :ok

On the roof there is a 150w rigid solar panel, kayak and long roof box weighing about 25-30kgs.

This is what I bought. http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gs8-18-210-260

I chose to have them made to 668N which is 30lb stronger than the heavy duty version.

I was looking at the adjustable struts they make to use on the tailgate. It will be interesting to see how they perform.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

I have the HD JB shocks on my roof but did consider complimenting them with a set of Gowesty lift shocks that fit further up the roof like the Reimo ones. This way the lift points would be spread around a bit and the roof should lift easier. SGS don't actually make all the gas struts they sell, they buy them in from another company who I have been talking with this week after meeting them completely by chance while working on another project. I am getting some done right now for the doka doors, doka engine lid (diesel) uprated rear door and standard rear door. As well as the three currently used I am going to get some extra HD ones for myself to try out but might as well stock them if they are supposed to work. Ironically it is the same company that made the early Jack Bombay struts before Chinese ones were used and they are made here in the UK!

Small world...

The adjustable ones work by letting pressure out until you are happy and then pop a bit of blue paint on the screw to make sure it doesn't move apparently. You can't add pressure back in unless you send them back to the factory where they put them back in a big machine and pressurise them again.

I just need to pop round to a friends with a Vindik over the weekend to measure that strut and I will be submitting order quantities on Tues/Wednesday next week if anyone is interested. I can get them set to any pressure you want for the roof kits, just let me know before Monday and I can add them to my order if it is something unusual.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

jed the spread wrote: The adjustable ones work by letting pressure out until you are happy and then pop a bit of blue paint on the screw to make sure it doesn't move apparently. You can't add pressure back in unless you send them back to the factory where they put them back in a big machine and pressurise them again.

Kinda pointless then!

ninja.turtle007

As Jed said about the adjustable ones.

To save money you can send your old struts the be checked and regassed to a higher/lower rating. 700N Max.

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

That's a good idea, I'll call them next week. The struts are ok but can't take the weight of a Paul Chen rack with the bbq and chairs on.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

printmonkey wrote:That's a good idea, I'll call them next week. The struts are ok but can't take the weight of a Paul Chen rack with the bbq and chairs on.

CVC has some HD ones back in stock next week if get them in on back order and set t 800N :wink: http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25 ... as-struts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More