How do you cover your front windows?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

curley
80-90 Mem No: 0

How do you cover your front windows?

Post by curley »

Just got my T25 t'other day. Its been pretty heavily stripped including all the curtains. I fear sleeping at the services last night on the journey back home was quite an exhibition for some other drivers!

I can see the rails for curtains in the rear are still intact which is good. I'll just need to buy some new hooks and knock curtains up from some fabric (and by knock up I mean, get the old dear to do it) But I can't see any rails around the cab. How do you guys block light coming through the front?

I was thinking of installing a pull down screen from the ceiling that comes behind the driver and passenger seat but thought this might be any over complicated remedy.

Any other inventive solutions?

Thanks
Curly
Follow me @charlieloftman

Miss Syd
80-90 Mem No: 10257

Re: How do you cover your front windows?

Post by Miss Syd »

are there any metal poppers around the cab area? That's how my original curtains were attached. I made myself some window screens with fabric to match the curatins in the back and the silver insulating foil you can buy from B&Q to put behind radiators. I bought some strong suction cups off e-bay - job sorted. Dead easy.
Home is where you park it!

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I have curtain track running all round the cab , works a treat .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I have curtains with a rail but they don't pull round if I'm using the over cab hammock. I use a Silver Screens front cover which works really well for keeping out the light and is made to measure & also fits over the door windows as well:

'86 DG, Weber Carb

curley
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by curley »

@Miss Syd - no metal poppers but nothing to stop me adding some. I've seen the foil and cup sections used in other motorhomes too. Looks good.

@Dazco - lucky you! mines not installed but i've learned from google that the tracking is easy enough to buy

@300CE - that screen looks ideal. I'd be concerned about someone running off with it in the night though. Paranoid much? Whose asking?

Lots of options to consider. I still like the idea of closing the cab off at night and I'm even thinking that a pull down screen could be used with a portable projector...

More thinking required me required it seems
Follow me @charlieloftman

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

It fits over the doors Curley and is held in when the doors are shut so should be pretty safe :ok

Lots of options though :D
'86 DG, Weber Carb

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

Rainbow screens are another option. Quite a lot of the material tucks behind the front cab doors for security.

1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

Thread hijack alert......hopefully adds to it - apologies if not :D

Would people say these are better than/as good as the internal silver screens from a thermal point of view? I have the internal set at the moment which are great but doing the front ones I find to be a bit of a faff so thinking the external ones might be more convenient.
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

We have an internal screen and we're thinking about getting one of the Silver Screen ones. It would cover all the front windows much better in terms of privacy, plus you apparently don't get condensation on the inside of the windows like you do with the internal ones. The only downside I can see with the external one's is that you might sometimes have to pack them up wet if it's been raining.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Post by Sleedale »

I recently bought an external rainbow screens and it's fab. Used to have curtains I made specially for the side windows and screen (extra length to tuck down the dash to free up a bit of space) and also have tried the internal thermal screens. Of the three, the external one is definitely the best, although not tried it in cold weather so no idea how warm it keeps the van. I already had curtain track from the front doors around the screen (and all round the rest of the van) and for now I've left it in, but I much prefer the inside of the van without having the front curtains trailing and it's better driving too, no fabric bunched up by the door posts.
However, it's all personal preference.
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic

Peter-T
80-90 Mem No: 10644

Post by Peter-T »

I have a curtain rail that runs all the way round the cab, but I don't use it. All I do is hang a blanket from the roof down behind the front seats. Trying to put the curtains round is a pain, almost as much as trying to put up the internal thermal screen, which never sticks properly. This way takes all of 30 seconds, there's no external screen that you have to put away wet and I think it's much better for wild camping.
Image 1981 2.0 Aircooled Devon

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

I have been thinking about windscreen covers myself lately, not to keep the light out at night, more to stop the sun coming in during the day.
Those of you with the external screens, how well do they stand up with use? Can anyone forsee a problem with the constant (strong) sun degrading them.

I will be doing some tinternet research now I have a couple of names to look for, so thank you for that information. Would prefer first hand accounts of peoples experience with these external screens though.

Cheers
Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Just a point but the external screen may not be great if wild camping. Should you need to make a quick getaway in the night.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Post by The Bishop »

I have internal silver screens, as said above, I like this because if I need to drive way I can without getting out. That said, it has never happened.

I also have straight curtain track behind the front seats. This iwould be easy to install but cuts down living space.

Internal silver screens (I like the idea of making your own covered in your matching fabric) are the cheapest and possibly most versatile. Can also be used to keep van cool on a hot day parked at the beach!
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

We have a Siver Screens external cover and use it every time we camp. As far as we are concerned they are the best option (we'd previously had the internal stick on ones). The Silver Screen helps keep the heat in in winter and out in summer. It also keeps the light out completely unlike some of the cheaper internal stick on pads. As far as longevity goes, we have had ours for nearly three years so will have used it for approaching 100 nights and it is as good as the day it arrived.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171